1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

reggae beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ratheaua, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ratheaua

ratheaua

Aug 11, 2012
    Hi, I'm starting to play reggae bass and I wanted to know what Bass and what amp should I buy if my budget is approximatly 500 dollars for each?

2. iskbee

iskbee

Aug 1, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Any bass and any amp in that price range should do the trick:bassist:

3. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Fender MIM/Squier CV Jazz plus GK MB115 should work well for reggae

4. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Bothell, WA
    Bass is whatever you feel comfortable with that sounds good through your rig. Amp depends on your volume needs. Will you be gigging, and if so at what kind of venue? Indoor, outdoor, PA or not, and how loud the other instrumentalists are kind of determine those parameters.

5. I agree with most here - it depends more how you play it than what bass you have. Anston Barrett (Wailers) used a J, ... Lloyd Parks, seemed to mostly play a P.

P bass...

parks.

Tele...

[​IMG]

Jazz...

402px-Aston_Barrett.

.... but if you're playing anywhere near the bridge, you're doing it wrong.

6. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    These days, many reggae bass players use active 5 or 6 string basses for a more modern sound and some deep notes.

However, as stated in one of the previous posts, basically any bass and amp with the right settings will do.

7. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I play 5ers with flat wound strings.

8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    In true Reggae Tradition play whatever bass and amp that is available and that you can afford.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

9. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    i really don't have much to add to the sagely advice already here, but i'll say that I use a Ric with stainless steel strings for reggae all the time (sometimes even using the ric-o-sound option!), and it sounds great. Anything will do.

And a big +1 to having an amp that is properly suited to your needs. It's usually better to have an amp with too many watts than one with not enough! And most reggae usually requires a pretty heavy bass, so don't worry about getting dirty looks from bandmates if your amp rumbles ;)

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Pbass and a nice amp that utilizes a nice 15 or 410's

11. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    +1

Don't agree with this one. If you palm mute just inside the bridge saddles and pluck with your thumb you will get a terrific reggae sound. Here's a video showing the technique:
    http://how-to-play-bass.com/bass-guitar-blog/tag/palm-mute-and-thumb

Jim

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1. You can get great reggae tone with a thumb.
    I like flats with a foam mute, palm muting and a pick can work... not all the time though.

main thing is to have a big low end. :D:bassist:

13. Dig Wilbur Ware

Dig Wilbur Ware

Mar 7, 2003
    Nice catch in that Lloyd Parks photo: he's known for his upper octave "comments" and flourishes.

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Whatever nicest to you used bass and used combo amp you can find. Theres no such thing as "the reggea bass and amp". If one wants to be silly and talk about the gear they mostly play in jamaica, its not going to be worth anything really. Cause they dont got anywhere near the variety available there that is available in america, uk and europe etc. Is a pretty poor country economy wise.

More important is get the reggae spirit for music into your playing. For nicest economy basses and combo amps Id say Ibanez SR300, esp ltd b154dx, and Jackson js3. For nicest economy combo amps both new and used Id say Peavey. Peaveys probably the most reliable things ever made.