Reggae book recommendations

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jerry J, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm trying to get down some Reggae chops. I've been listening to alot of Family Man Barrett but I need to get something that will get me along a bit faster. I just wanted to pickup some key points to nailing my own groove.

I've been looking online for a book/CD and I've come across the book by Chris Matheos called "Reggae Grooves For Electric Bass" and a book by Ed Friedlander called "Bass Builders Reggae Bass".

Is anyone familier with either of these books? Can you recommend anything else?
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have the first one and feel it is an very good basic introduction to Reggae bass. Let me see if I can put my hands on it to tell you more. OK, got it.

The book is NOT big, only 24 pages. The CD gives you nineteen four bar patterns of common reggae bass lines, plus it tells you about strings choice, equalization and playing reggae on five and six tring basses and fretless basses.

I don't have Friedland's book, but I have some others by him and feel he is an excellent instructor. He has also written bass instruction columns for Bass Player Magazine. Without even seeing his book, my guess is that his would be more detailed and contain more information than the Mateos book, but as I say, I haven't seen the Friedland book, so I am guessing.

The Mateos book is written in both tab and standard notation. I don't know your preference. I don't think you can go wrong with the mateos book. It is a good start.
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks Bop, I ordered the Matheos book this afternoon. At $10 I'm sure I can't lose.

Much appreciated.