reggae help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by warwickben, Mar 12, 2002.

1. i know there has been many post about how to play most of the post it just says listen to reggae.iam 16 now and i have been listening to reggae since i was 6 and i dont really get how to play.i get a idea.but not really sure.

all so how do you set you eq i never could figure that out it seems like i all ways have to much bass on to much highs.
  2. if you dont knwo what iam asking is how do you play reggae.dont tell me to go out and buy a book cause they dont really help.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Since you apparently soaked it up for years it shouldn't be too hard.

Just grab your CDs and try to learn the songs you like. Analyse the basslines and see how they work, offbeat rhythms, note choices, sound etc.

Take the basslines you like and modify them, use them as a basis for own ideas and lines. Try to write alternative lines for those songs.

Good luck!
  4. i have tried the problem every thing i come up with thats reggae sounds alot like the bassline's in rap songs.all so how should i set my eq
  5. Reggae has the same basis as standard funk - sixteenth shuffle, swing whatever you wanna call it.
    1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
    1 e+ a2 e+ a3 e+ a4 e+ a

sorta get it - i hope so cos that little thing there sucked.

Yeah umm....
    skip beat 1 and often beat 3 so your line becomes

r e+ a2 e+ ar e+ a4 e+ a

us the fifth and octaves and just improvise and stuff around a bit. Try this line - good to start reggae with.

E minor

wahs are nice but remember timing is everything.
  6. yes it does have a neck pickup, it has two jazz pickups in it.i'll try doing what Josh Walsh said about the eq.i just have another ? for you ,when you play the notes should i let them ring.
  7. For eq i agree with Josh, neck pickup and full bass :D
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Another idea: play relaxed

I know that may sound odd, but it's the best way to describe. Don't wail on the strings, use soft touch with both your hands. By it's nature reggae has a laid back vibe, play that way, laid back and relaxed. Get into that sort of vibe the rest will follow I suspect. That's how I approach getting a reggae tone. I honestly don't touch my eq a bit.
  9. as for EQ: boost bass, cut mids a little, boost treble a little, and a LITTLE overdrive helps. also, pluck the strings over the end of the neck.
  10. i tried the eq and using the neck pickup it doesnt sound right. when i blend both pickups 50/50 tone half way down i get a better sound for reggae .
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this could be a bit confusing, as in a way they are almost opposite - so whereas funk is about the first beat in the bar being very strong; as Josh has mentioned, "one drop" is the most characteristic Reggae bass line - where you avoid the first beat in the bar.

I can remember loads of "cover" bands in the UK who missed this simple fact and were doomed to sound awful when playing Reggae! ;)
  12. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You can also try palm muting, and plucking the E, and A with your thumb, and D an G with you fingers.
    I'm not very good at it, but I've seen people do it before and it sounds very cool.