Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reggae instruction Book

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by gruuv247, Sep 27, 2002.

1. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    Anyone know of a good well rounded Reggae instruction Book?:confused:

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    listen to lots, and lots of Dub... Its reggae with all the crappy bits took out... Lee Peery, King Tubby, and the upseters... they will teach you all...

Alex :D

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's one book/CD on reggae bass that I know of.

Mel Bay's Reggae Grooves for Electric Bass with CD,by Chris Matheos

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I forgot. I also have a Robert Marley book of his best known hits and it contains basslines. I can't think of the name of the book, but I know it does exist. Learning those basslines is a good way to learn to make your own lines for similar reggae songs.

5. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    what do you mean by "crappy bits"?

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I was jokin' I love reggea almost as much as I love dub, chill... On second thought I shouldn't of said crappy bits eh?.. Sorry If I offended you... I should of simply said, more bass less everything else... No hard feeling?..

Alex

7. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    hehe, ok i get it now

for a minute i though them were fightin' words! ;)

8. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Oh no... That would be compleatly contridictory because dub is the very essence of reggae... its cool man, but you can not tell me some of the greatist players you have ever heard played for Perry and Tubby.... :p its funny that there is sort of a rift between dub and reggae though.... hummm...

Alex

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ed Friedland (of BP mag fame) has written a book about Reggae bass.

10. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Tecx, why do you say there is a rift between dub and reggae? IMO, they go hand in hand. When I listen to reggae I like to listen to the extended mixes that have the song immediately followed by the dub. Gives it more context that way.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I shoudln't worry about somebody who can't even stick to the question - so the gruuv asks quite clearly and conscisely for books !! ;)

12. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    All the people i know like one or the other... and they are not extended mixes... they are there own... :)

Alex