Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reggae "Pull up!"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by malthumb, Dec 17, 2002.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    A while ago I went to see my former bass instructor's reggae band open for a nationally prominent reggae headliner (wish I could remember his name, but I'm only marginally into reggae). The headliner kept doing something that I found odd and seriously irritating.

Has anyone ever witnessed or experienced a "pull up"? Apparently, when the performer feels like either someone in his band screwed up, or if he thinks he's not gettin' enough love from the audience, he yells, and I mean YELLS "Pull up!!" The band stops, the drummer does a crash, and they start over.

This guy must've done this about 20 times. Is this a reggae thing or just this guy? I've never seen it before or since.

Peace,

James

2. mpapi

mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    Was it done during just one song, or throughout the whole night? If it was one song maybe it was the "chorus" of that song. If it was done throughout the whole night, who knows?

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    All friggin' night as far as I know. I eventually got bored and left. It was also obvious by the p!$$ed off look on his face that it was done for a reason.

Peace,

James

4. mpapi

mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    Wow...doesn't sound very professional. Sorry you had to sit through that....

5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    It is not uncommon to see that during a reggae show. Sometimes it is done because somebody in the band screws up and sometimes it is done to hype the crowd by playing them a little bit of a hit song and then making them scream for more.

Sounds like this guy went a little overboard with it though. Usually it might happen 2-3 times a show. I suspect that this performer might have had a backing band that he was not satisfied with.

My old band used to do it if somebody in the band screwed up, but it wasnt that often.

6. I am going to have to try that! not to the extent of more than 2-3 times but it sounds so awsome and it adds depth to the band:D :cool: