Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reggae recording tech.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lowendgrumble, May 7, 2004.

1. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    just wondering if anybody has any knowledge of how all of the great reggae recordings were made, bass wise. Most of what i know is it was usally a jazz bass direct to the board. If anyone knows of any specifics, i would love to hear about it.
    thanks

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Mucho pickup de bridge

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    You mean neck pickup right?

Lowendgrumble, can you be more specific as to which recordings you mean? Studio One stuff sounds very different from Tuff Gong records, Taxi has its own thing and on and on.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    No, I did mean bridge pickup. I'm no expert on reggae, but from what I hear, the bridge pickup is generally favored.

5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Studio One used a custom made speaker cabinet with the mic pointing at the rear of the speaker.

Familyman records amp and direct signals. He also ususlly doubles the bass with guitar.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I thought the forumla for reggae bass was a Precision with the tone cranked back all the way. Total "playing with mittens" vibe. :)

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    indeed, where the bass almost becomes a percussion instrument.

8. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    More specificly about the gear they used on the recordings is what is was interested in. I know lee perry is way into soundcraft mixing boards etc. Just wondering if the used a D.I. or miked the cab, and what kinda mic or what kinda D.I. box they used. Stuff like that.
    Any and all of the labels if you know what they used. Studio One , tuff Gong etc..

thanks for your help.

9. The pickup should be in the bridge, but you should pluck the strings near the neck, not over the pickups.