1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reggae / Ska pickups? Jazz Bass Deluxe

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by piqu, Apr 3, 2013.

1. piqu

piqu

Jun 29, 2008
    Hey you internet people :) I need a bit of advice.

I have to get rid of my dreadful pickups. I have an American Jazz Bass Deluxe – I’ve already transformed it into passive but that sound is still… painful. It sounds like… cardboard? :) These original “noiseless” pickups are definitely not ‘noise less’ – walkie-talkies in 50’ were less of noise :)

I need reggae/ska tones – deep, without that typical glassy rumble. I’m not a fan of vintage jazz pickups but have an original Duncans in my squier VM and it’s great! Anything similar to that? Some suggestions from reggae players? :)

http://youtu.be/TNyTGpnexic - i need that sound :)

bless!

2. These 1st gen noiseless need active pre amp to have any tone IMO. Add a John East Retro J pre and go active with balls or stay passive and switch to original formula Di Marzio Js and go deep.

3. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    I put Bart single coils (deep version) in my Fender 5. I Kept it passive and it sounded great for the reggae/fusion I was playing. Nice,deep tone and sweet mids. Still versatile as well. I could come close to sounding like flats with GHS Boomers or Fender Roundwounds(that's what I told myself, anyway). The Boomers had a little less tension which I preferred.

4. Perhaps some reggae players could chime in with string suggestions.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Reggae players would say get a P bass. But the deep Barts would do nicely. Warm and smooth sounding.

6. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    IMO there is nothing wrong with your bass..

Put some brite flats, or chromes on for deeper tone, and, as far as noise goes... noiseless pickups are wound to eliminate hum, however the symptoms you describe are symptomatic of noisy electronics/system so try shielding your bass.

7. The Jazz bass should be fine. For ska/reggae I dial out a lot of the bridge pick up, wind down the tone and string with flats. Worked for Robbie and Family Man.

8. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    A lot wouldn't! Back in the day (60s, 70s) a good number of Jamaican sessions were done with a Jazz bass. As for today's reggae bassists, pretty much anything goes.

9. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    What kind of sound are you going for? "Classic"? Late 80s/later dancehall? Studio or live? Most of your results will come from EQ rather than string selection. If you're looking for a 60s/70s vibe then pretty much any dead string will do the trick (flats if you want a particularly old school sound). But live I would steer more towards rounds as it's important for the notes to have some definition.