Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Marzer, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    any sites dedicated to teaching how to play reggae? I cant find any
  2. Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    any tips at all would suffice, actually,

scales, that sort of thing.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't know of any specific reggae - playing only sites...maybe or

If that fails, you can always count on Hal Leonard for basic instruction :D

Reggae Bass Book & CD Bass Builders by Hal Leonard

You might also want to contact Burning Skies here on TB....he's a reggae bassist (there are probably others as well)
  4. A Reggae bassline is a very personal statement. Try to learn to sing your favorite basslines by ear. You'll soon be 'thinking' in that context and language. Then translate it onto your bass, or see how it lines up on a piano. Don't worry about putting it into notation or trying to learn it from tabs. There's No Feeling on a piece of paper. You have that power. So learn to hear it, and then give it back with Feeling. It will be from You, and it won't sound stiff or academic.
    That's the beauty of Reggae, and earlier Rock Steady. There's no hiding. A phony, casual "let's do a Reggae tune" pose can be spotted within seconds.

If it aint roots, walk out. Life's too short and precious.
  5. groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    I would say listen, listen, listen. Since reggae is very technical, most of what you need to learn is how to be creative with simple lines. But again, as others have said, listen to alot of reggae (go for the roots) and you will begin to learn.
  6. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    umm im a reggae/ska/punk bassist. uhhh just look up tabs. i suggest 911tabs. :bassist: com