Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jerryoram, Oct 9, 2001.

1. jerryoram

Feb 7, 2001
    just went to my first reggae concert recommend a goodbookon style technique,also some artists/recordings thankyou
  2. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Bob Marley is a obviously a good source for reggae bass.. good songs would be for example:
    "I shot the sheriff", "No woman no cry", "Get up stand up" "Stir it up"...good luck

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Anything with Robbie Shakespeare - usually with Sly Dunbar - "Sly and Robbie". I have a "dub" compilation by them, which is great for getting reggae basslines, as they are so prominent in dub.
  4. deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    i'm partial to steel pulse myself. extremely good reggae composition, tight tight music, with excellent ideas and execution imho.

another good bass reggae sound is LKJ, linton kwesi johnson, a UK based rasta poet with a kick arse backup band. the vocals are more poetry than singing, but the jams by the band are often rock solid, and very nice reggae bass lines.

for repetitive dub stuff a lot of lee scratch perry will do you well, although personally i find that a little uncreative and boring for my tastes, too 'trancey'.

great on X or Cid tho =P

my best advice for learning reggae is to practice percussion for 5 years =) it's all about isolation of voices in syncapated grooves. so rythmical precision is often the basis of the groove. much like really good, slow blues.

many wailer parts are incredibly simple lines, but require a very precise rythmical touch to come off right - natural mystic for example has a grand total of 6 different notes, but proper articulation of the strings will make those 6 notes absolutely rock that song along.

but then i'm not someone to listen to when it comes to bass =)
  5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    You can get Ed Friedland's book on reggae bass. If you learned all the riddims in there you'd be well prepared to play hundreds of reggae songs.

Also listen to as much reggae as possible. I recommend getting the 4 CD set "Tougher Than Tough: The Story of Jamiaican Music" It pretty much gets a lot of the highlights from the 50's to the 90's. A lot of the riddims in this set are in Ed's book.

Another great CD to get is "Dub Chill Out" which contains many absolutely crucial riddims dubbed to the max and for a great price too.

Also put flatwounds on your bass for that deep tone. Check out Thomastik-Infelds for flats that aren't too tubby sounding. A mute near the bridge also helps.
  6. If you can find any recordings from a band called Salmonella Dub, they have some pretty good reggae tracks.