Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mosmute, May 12, 2002.

1. mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    what would be some of the basses to consider buying if i was in a reggae/ska band?......(which i am)
  2. It depends, if you want to play ska as it was played back in the old days, when the members of No Doubt (not a ska band in my eyes, but still) wasn't even born and Skatalites ruled the world, you'd want an upright.
    But, that might not work very well for reggae (as long as we're not talking about rock steady). The "standard" reggae bass, then, might be a Fender Jazz, with all the treble rolled off. Apart from that, one of my favourite players, sir Horace Gentleman of The Specials, got a great tone out of his humbucker equipped Fender Tele bass. I've also heard great ska tones (2 Tone-style) coming out of an ash bodied Warwick Corvette. And the black box graphite Steinbergers were really popular among reggae players in the eighties.
    The thing is that almost any "traditional" bass will do when playing reggae and/or ska, as long as you don't play the D or G strings, or turn up the treble, unless there's an emergency. ;)
    To conclude, a J-style bass of any make will be a safe bet. Play as many as you can.
  3. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    The jazz is definitely what you see and hear most frequently. I think P's are nice as well as they have a really thick low end. Try a fretless to get a really smooth tone. A fretless PJ would smoke...
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    family man barrett says j so i say j... i have also seen alot of raggae guys using the old school prs basses
  5. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    A lot of Sly & Robbie's early stuff was done on a Hofner, believe it or not. I guess it makes sense- defiinitely a boomy bass with the flatwounds.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I plan on using my jazz basses for reggae.

But I think a P would work...i also think a Cirrus would work in a reggae setting.