1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reggae.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kitschead, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I need some tips on playing reggae and ska basslines. Can someone help me please? I play electric and double so I guess I want to transfer it to both of them. Thanks a lot.

2. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    I'm certainly no expert, but i would suggest you have a look at Ed Friedland's Reggae Bass book as a start. The book is mostly about the basslines used with the accompanying CD, together with some history of the development and some notes about the characteristics of ska/reggae basslines

3. stevethebassguy

stevethebassguy

Feb 3, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Endorsing Artist, MonoCase, Aguilar Amplification
    check out artists like Peter Tosh and John Holt (not sure who the bass players were on those recordings). Those are pre- Bob Marley and the Wailers guys and are really under rated in my opinion. Then check out Marley (Aston "Family Man" Barrett) was the guy on most of those. you can read about him in a recent back issue of Bass player.

Most important is to keep it thick, laid back, repetitive and sparse.
    Hope it helps.........

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Good thing you posted this, because I actually had the same question tonight. I think I want to start up a ska band, so yeah.

5. Jamarcla

Jamarcla

Nov 17, 2007
  6. There was a post somewhere on one of these forums where one of our fellow TBers did a great job explaining reggae, if anyone could link him to that I'm sure it would help loads.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    What kinds of tips? What exactly is it that you want to know? :confused:

Would you mind being more specific?

MM

8. Well I don't really know anything about constructing reggae bass lines so I guess I just want to know everything. Notes and rhythms to play with.

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Play sparsely and use pauses. Root-Fifth-octave runs (quarter notes) are pretty common.
    The most important thing however is to capture that laid back feel. Listen to a lot of reggae so get a better clue about reggae bass lines.