1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reggie Hamilton MIM?????? Views please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rodl2005, Sep 22, 2008.

1. There's a lovely sunburst Reggie Hamilton PJ - MIM P pup & noiseless J-bridge pup. Active 3 EQ, passive No EQ.

I tried it at my local & am tossing up between this & a new 70's Classic series RI-w/ bound neck & block markers.

Anyone give me some views of both, just the RH or just the 70's CS.

Thanks.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I absolutely love the RH Sig. If the MIM version came in a five, I would have bought one yesterday!

3. Mesmerize-16

Mesmerize-16

Aug 31, 2007
    Played a RH at the local shop a while back and loved it! Great basses, and such a variety of tone. It was a MIA, however, with some custom addons and was priced at "only" $3000...just a little out of my range :p

4. The one I'm looking at is a MIM one- has the "hipshot D tuner" & active/passive elecs but in passive has NO tone controls ... Must check that - to see if U can blend the pups-from the P to J. Should be able to. ANYONE????

Info PLEASE... Just how they feel, last, gig etc..

I DO like the LOOK of the Classic series 70's bound neck & blocks, but having the P pup & an active option... well that's COOL!!!

5. I love my RH MIM. One thing: it is HEAVY. I don't mind the weight of most basses, and I don't shy away from heavy basses, but this is easily the heaviest bass I've owned. As versatile as it is, I still find myself using the p pup solo'd with the bass and mid boosted ever-so-slightly and the treble boosted even less.

And to answer your question: yes, the pups can be blended even in passive mode. The j pup in the bridge position is a noiseless pup, so the output is significantly lower than the p pup, especially in passive mode.

6. Thanx BASS MULE!! Thats the sorta thing I need. Yes I liked the P pup in active mode too. Such a big round sound!!! Do U find yo'self using passive nmode much?

7. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    I have both the Reggie and the 70's classic. It sounds like you like the Reggie but think the blocks on the 70's classic is cool. The RH is excellent bass but I've had some problems with the neck and bridge. The neck can never get straight enough and the bridge is blah. But everything else is a keeper, and it is a tad heavy, and still one of the best MIM instruments made even with the faults I listed. It is has a very nice tone. I did the only thing I could, swap the neck from a GL and wham-bam thank you mama got new sig model, the "Geggy":D
    RHbass.

8. I so wish that they came in 5 strings

9. The only time I use it in passive is when I'm recording direct.

10. Yep U R pretty right!!! I DO like the Reggie H. but It IS a bit more $$$ & it being at the local store, it's AUS price!!! :crying: =LOTS!! I can get either from the USA & I've got a line on the Classic '70's one atm.
    I DO like the look of the Classic 70's, & the RH looks great too, albeit sans binding & blocks.... The P-pup in the RH & the active mode work great to me. BUT I'm thinking -I've always wanted a 70's style Jazz.. Hmmmmmmm

I take it U swapped the neck from the 70's classic series onto the RH??? That right, Looks nice! Only I like the Pearloid blocks & white binding on R/Wood neck:ninja:
    Love the look of the Geggy tho! Dunno what I'd call mine if I did that- RH body w/ Rwood neck w/ blocks & binding....?? Ummm Reggie Paul Jones?????

DILLEMMA!!!:rollno: :rollno::spit:

So what do U think when comparing the two???? The 70's one-is it made nicely, play well? Sound good as a jazz can?? etc..???

I take it the RH is heavy, & sounds good in active mode, Anything else??

Is trhe RH a string-thru body bridge??

Thaks again so far everyone.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I own a few U.S. Fenders, and think the MIM Reggie Hamilton is excellent, and one of Fender's best values. Other than the weight, which others have mentioned, and the sub-par MIM bridge, I think it's great. In passive mode, it sounds very much like a U.S. Precision, because it has the U.S. pickup, and IMO it sounded better in active mode than many previous active Fenders. The noiseless J pickup is a huge bonus, and with the Hipshot drop tuner, it's a total rock machine out of the box. If you dig heavy, aggressive tones and want a Fender, you should check out the Jaguar too. It's around the same price.

12. Thanx Ned, Appreciate that. Have checked out Jag's Like 'em too. BUT the P pup in the RH is a bonus. Will check out the RH instore & have a close look at the neck. Seems this MAY be an issue!

13. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Great basses and Fender Custom Shop makes a Reggie Ver

14. LOW B6 YEs I know the CS do a RH too, but thats OUTTA my $$$$ range by a LONG shot! Enquiring re the MIM RH Jazz.

15. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    Now the neck on my Reggie is from a Geddy Lee jazz. MY 70's Classic is still intact and will remain so. The 70's is a straight up Jazz with inlays, binding and 70's pup spacing. But for something truly versatile get the Reggie. If I had to sell one or the other the 70's classic would go first. And, Reggie does not have a string thru bridge.

16. Thanks. I'm leaning towards the RH right now. The active/passive, P & J pups....mmmmm Nice. Maybe a bound & blocked neck for it in future????

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Want one of these so bad right now. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :spit:

Every time I think I'm GAS-free, someone goes and posts a pic like that. :( :scowl::rollno::eyebrow:

18. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    Sorrrry:D:D:D:bag:

19. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I've got a MIM Reggie, and absolutely love it! I actually sold my MIA Deluxe Jazz because the Reggie does the same thing for me for a lot less money. I also have a MIA Deluxe Pbass, and two Jags, which I really love.
    But my main players are still the G&L's.......