1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reggie Hamilton P/J Pup / Pre Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BobKos, Mar 3, 2008.

1. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Hi All:

I'm looking for pickup advice.

First the lead in. I recently upgraded my MIA Jazz Bass with Dimarzio Model J's and an East J-Retro. To me, that's a very nice setup. So nice in fact that it instantly made my prized Fender CS Reggie Hamilton sound pretty anemic. I've decided that I have to fix that.

I bought a really nice East J-Retro Deluxe from a fellow TB'er ( thanks again Tom ). Now I need to do pickups. I'm thinking Dimarzios again, but I haven't found a matched P/J set from that company. If they make one, they keep it a secret on their website.

What I'm after is a really good P-Bass sound when I want it with the option of dialing in bridge for high end reinforcement. I want this bass to be smooth yet punchy. Did that make sense? I guess I want a P/J that really works well. The best of both worlds - P & J without too much compromise. I've had other P/J basses and I wasn't really thrilled with the tones available. They didn't do anything really well. The exception is my Reverend P/J which IS nice. I'm hopeful that a good set of pickups combined with the J-Retro is going to really change this bass for the better.

I don't need slap. I have other basses for that and I'm not good at it anyways.

Any recommendations for P/J sets that you've had good experience with? Any you've had bad experience with?

FWIW - I DON'T like the EMG thing at all. Been there & done that.

I welcome all input on this project.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    I haven't tried it, but maybe a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz Bridge / Neck + Model P / Split P? Just something to look into.