Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongo Slade, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Has anyone played one of these yet?
    I am wonderin' what comprimises in build quality Fender had to make to bring the price from $2100 to $750.
    Jes' curious.

2. It's a completely different bass from the $2100 version. The cheaper version differs because:

1. It's not US made, whereas the custom version was a Custom Shop model
    2. Instead of having blocks, it just has dots
    3. It does not have the same tuners, pups, or bridge
    4. It presumably has a different preamp

This bass isn't meant to compete with the high-end, like the Signature CS one was. It's meant to sit in the same range as the Marcus Miller and the Geddy Lee.
  3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

... and in that range, it acquits itself very well.

It is a nice sounding, excellent FEELING bass. It reeks of class and plays sweet, sweet, sweet!

If I were starting from scratch and had to choose one and only one 4-string bass, this would be it. No question.
  4. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I am a big fan of P bass Pick Ups on jazz bass body and Neck.

I think the MIM Reggy has no tone control when in passive mode. A pretty big compromise to me.

I've been looking to check one out but haven't come accross any.
  5. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I think it does have the same pups actually. Certainly the J pickup is. I don't remember if the p pickup is the same but it uses a us std 1.

I would think it has a standard j body and neck though.

As for no passive tone control, I think it would be quite hard to wire it so that it did. Besides the PJ config sounds best with full tone.
  6. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY

I have a passive MIM P Bass Special. I usually play neck PU only with the tone rolled off about 1/4. P Bass Tone, J Bass Neck, I just wish it has a J Bass Body.
  7. i'm really interested in those too, but man i wish they had the block inlays like the high end version
  8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings is the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

9. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    If it had blocks it would be more expensive. They probably just put on std jazz necks. Nothing wrong with that just means we sacrifice some looks for a cash saving.