Reggie McBride

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thulsa, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Was listening to an old Tommy Bolin album (Private Eyes) and really enjoyed the bass on it. Come to find out it was Reggie McBride. One of the songs that really stood out was Post Toastee. Did a search on google and found out that he also played with Stevie Wonder, Robby Krieger, Taj Mahal, Elton John, Minnie Ripperton, Dr. John, Rare Earth, and Smokey Robinson. Has anyone heard him on any of the Tommy Bolin albums or know much about his bass playing abilities. I am interested in hearing more about him.
  2. Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I met Reggie at a show in N.Y. where he was playing with Keb' Mo'. He used a Fender 4-string with the P-J pickup configuration and a Fodera 5-string. He played through an SWR S-400 and a Goliath II. He is one of the most versatile bassists around and also one of the nicest people I ever bugged for information. He showed me how to play with my thumb down low near the bridge and muffle the string (sort of palm muting) to give it extra "thump". I swear if I'd asked him anything he would have told me! I never met a guy so willing to help me, not even so-called "teachers". And his groove was perfect for Mr. Mo', as I'm sure it would be for all the other people you have listed.
  3. Thanks for the info. I will have to keep an eye out for him in the Atlanta area.