Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reggie Wootens 10 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, May 20, 2002.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hello John I was over at the Dudepit,and a guy mentioned that he saw Reggie's 10 string bass.I have some nice pics of it that I got from reggie but I do not know how to post them.Keith Roscoe was to do it but he took a very long time getting it done,for what ever reason.anyway reggie got his woods back and a friend of mine finally put it together,but the friend wants to stay in the background and not have his name out there at least for now.at the summer NAMM show EMG is having a party at one of nashvilles clubs and reggie and I will be playing there.you and any of the TB guys are more than welcome if your at NAMM.the bass as youv'e seen is very beautifull.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  3. Mastesbasser

Mastesbasser

May 20, 2002
    hey
    post'em up but hurry i wanna see 'em!

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Sorry about this taking so long... we're both to blame for it. ;)
    [​IMG]

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    All I can say is... whoa. :eek:
    [​IMG]

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    JAUQO III-X

Whats up man!

Where are you guys playing. I believe Chris B is comeing done from Organ and going to NAMM with me as well. I know he would love to catch up with you. He's bring a few basses. but not going to have a booth.

That basses in beautifull.

Let me know where you will be at, but I'm sure I'll see you there.
    Heres Chris B's last one he just finished.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ab4/bbarrett4/page25.html

and BW its not for sale:rolleyes:

7. What is that thing tuned?

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Just noticed... that's a TREBLE clef on his cap! The nerve!

:p

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks Oysterman.the bass is standard but the bass E is a octave lower than standard E

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've never heard Reggie play bass. Has anyone else? I know that he showed Victor some things when they were younger, but I wonder if he's as much of a monster as Vic. That thing is insane! I wonder if Bill Dickens could play it?:p

11. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    embellisher, I've heard him playing bass a few times. A couple of times it was with the Wooten brothers when there was no bass player available to fill in and he was kind of going nuts, all over the place. But a couple other times I heard him as a sideman and he was just laying in the groove. He's like that, nuts when he can be and pocket when he has to be.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I have seen Reggie on many occasions play bass.I was in the studio with Victor while he was recording his upcoming CD and Reggie layed a groove onto a track that was more than Funky.if you didnt know Reggie played guitar and you heard him on bass,seriously his talents on bass wouldnt be questioned.just recently I saw him blow thru Giant Steps.Reggie is a very talented Kat. once one here's Reggie on bass then it explains to a great degree where Vic got it from.

13. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    what are the strings? eg BEADG, EADG, BEADGC :confused: and where would u buy a set of them!!

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Reggie has it tuned Low B going up,but the E below the Low B is an octave lower than the standard E .he put the strings together from various gauges.

15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Up here seeing reggie play is not unusual. He also teaches lessons up here and is one of the nicest guys in the world. Reggie is pretty much the musical guru for the entire wooten family. that whole family is just way too nice.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    from what i understand, reggie is the "go-to" guy in the nashville area. i was talking to keith horne down in jacksonville, fl a couple years ago, who used to be vic's room mate, and he says that the wootens are all just phenomenal. nice too. ;)

interesting pickup configuration on that 10 string. that thing is just nuts! kinda like that old schack 10 string that jonas hellborg used to have.

17. As far as I know, not only did Reggie show Vic a few things on bass, but he taught Vic how to play. In fact, he taught all of the Wooten brothers how to play their instruments. As far as seeing them play, Reggie, Joseph, and Rudi all play every Wednesday night in Nashville at this club called 3rd and Lindsley. It's only $5. I asked Reggie before a show once if he gives lessons and he didn't even give me the runaround. He was great; he gave me his home phone and everything, and I'm just some random guy at a concert. On his website, Vic says that Reggie is one of the best bassists he knows. Personally, Reggie is the best guitarist I've ever seen, and I've seen Phil Keaggy and Tony Rice (if you don't know who they are, just know they are two of the best). Personally, I would like to hear Reggie get down on a Chapman Stick. I think he could wear it out. He's just great. He'll have that 10 string down in no time. So Jauqo III-X. How often are you in Nashville and who do you play with?

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Hey!whats up HeavyJams depends on how my schedule is Im often in Nashville.I have a band called the JAUQO III-X REALITY were in rehearsal mode right now and when Im not doing that Im doing some session work and just working on side projects that catch my interest.
    Thanks for inquiring
    JAUQO III-X
    p.s.
    Feel free to visit my sight at
    jauqoiii-xreality.com

19. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    10 string bass....why not 50 strings bass...or 300 strings piano,and 20 violin!

20. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Am I to assume then that you play a one string with one pickup through a single 15 with the mids and highs cut and bass turned all the way up...cuz you're a real bass player, right? ;)