1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Regreting bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bigbass94, Mar 17, 2008.

1. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    Well, latley I have been regeting being a bass player. Yesterday I started thinking "i like playing lead lines and power chords and GUITAR stuff( I played guitar for 3 years)"

So, should I stay with bass?

2. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Yes.

3. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    folks we have a runner!

you'll never get passed the gates!!!!!

4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Do both.

5. Do both. I'm playing guitar and singing with a rock trio tomorrow.:bassist:

6. There's a lot to be said for being proficient on both instruments. While (as is so often pointed out here on TB) they are quite different, I find there is a lot of interplay. For example, playing bass has really improved my fingerstyle guitar, and my fretwork is cleaner than ever before when playing melodic lines. I prefer the bass but for me guitar is invaluable as a song writing tool or for playing as a soloist. Playing both will also make it much easier when you want to get your musical ideas recorded.

7. I was a guitar player first. I find that playing bass really improved my rhythm guitar and timing in general, but destroyed my lead guitar chops.:bawl:

8. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    play what you like

9. +1

I am a hack guitarist, but I'm good enough to communicate to my real guitarists the ideas that I have. I would say do both, and if one doesn't really suit you, don't spend too much time on it.

10. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'd stay with both instruments and stay away from power chords. I try to stay away from them as much as I can.

11. Its your decision, no one can decide for you.

12. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Do what you gotta do. Bass is an understanding mistress, it doesn't mind you touching a g string or two elsewhere...

13. Play what you love. Don't waste any time on an instrument that doesn't "speak" to you. What for? If guitar is your thing, then start woodshedding with the guitar of your choice.

And sell that bass if you need the money. OTW, keep it. You never know when you might need it or change your mind about instrument-choice.

14. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    I think i'm gonna stay with bass, I listened to red barchetta.

15. :bassist: Geddy made a believer outta you! Fantastic. You've got good taste.

16. Ah, the enduring power of Geddy!

17. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    One option would be to join a band with multiple bassists and no guitar where you generally don't play typical bass parts? That might or might not be an option depending on your goals... you're probably not gonna play weddings with such a lineup!

18. That was funny, pklima. I believe that the prog-rock pioneers of Spinal Tap tried that in their seminal, genre-altering song, Big Bottom.

19. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    Sorry to go way off topic here, but are you in fact the guy playing in Dead Raven Choir? :eek: