Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

REGRETS....I HAVE A FEW.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 7string, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Following on from the thread about which discontinued basses would you want to own, how about which basses you do not own anymore for whatever reason....

That regretted sale, that burglary, that pawn bass which you meant to buy back but never had the money....??!!

I had a Fender Urge, the 32" model. Fantastic bass, loved the sound and the 3 pickup idea for so many tones. But to cut a long story short had to sell it...

So let it all out and try not to shed too many tears !!

P.S. I probably got the Sinatra quote wrong in the title, but hey, I tried !!

Play on Dudes !!

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I sold my Squier Affinity P-Bass which was the first bass I ever owned. At the time I didn't think I'd miss it but I was wrong. I'd love to still have that bass and turn it into a Frankenstein project bass. You know, either SD 1/4 pounders or a Nordstrand pickup, new pots, BadAss II bridge, etc.

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    My very first bass, a 1962 Fender Precision, I bought it used in 1963 for $75 IIRC.

Used it for 4 years, then traded it in on the other bass I never should have sold, an Ampeg fretless scroll bass ...... :scowl:

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    My old Tung 5 string that I regreat selling, the 2 F that I had also.

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    You sold the Tung!? That was a beautiful bass.

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I sold a 71 jazz to a guy who does session work for about 1400 in random trade stuff, and told him that I wanted first dibs on getting it back. 6 months later we were talking about it, but he wanted 1900 then.

I'lll quite trying to hook people up.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A '63/'64 Jazz (bought new)
    A '69 P bass (purchased used)

I'll not go into details about why I no longer have them. Too painful. (Sob!)

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Gibson Nikki Sixx Blackbird. Bought on clearance, woulda held onto it if I knew I coulda doubled my money in time.

9. 1978 Azureglo Rickenbacker.

Mike

10. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    I was about to sell my first bass (Ibanez SDGR) when i needed some money for buying a fretless but fortunately i decided not to sell it and instead i turned it into fretless.

Not that it have such a good sound but i'm happy Because of the sentimental side.

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Even though I've had some great basses, I don't really regret any sales/trades because it eventually led to my Ritter. At the top of my miss list, would be a very special 1978 BG Rickenbacker and a fretless F bass.

I do have a major regret of a purchase I didn't make. The Sei fretless with Wal electronics that was on sale here and other places and just looks very "me". It was in England for a while, then Canada I believe...I don't know where it is now, but I'd love to get it. Ugh...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10775

Marshall

12. BarryS

BarryS

Oct 17, 2004
    Pendragon 6, sold it to Brian Barrett because an old lady totaled my car and I had to get a new one. Man I miss that bass. :crying: :( :mad:

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My first 5-string bass (also my first active), a red Washburn Axxess Bass (XS-5, I think? Does anybody know anything about this model? I don't). The only thing I didn't like from it was its narrow string spacing. It was one of the first Washburns in my town and I think it sounded way much better than the subsequent models that made the brand "popular" here (the XBs). It had two jazz-style EMG pickups and I think that's the reason why it sounded better than the XBs (well, at least you could read clearly "EMG" in mine, while the XB's soapbars only had a "Washburn" mark). Recently I saw some old videos of my rock band in the days we played Rush tunes exclusively and still think that the Axxess had a Geddy Lee vibe that my Carvin never matched. I bought it in late '91 and had it during nine years until it was stolen. I already was playing from five years before I got it, but this bass was the one who saw my real development as a bassist (which only has reached the 10% of what I wanted it to be), my "practicing fever", my interest in becoming a serious player. That's why I'm so nostalgic about this instrument. Maybe I'd sell it because I wanted something better (specially because of the annoying string spacing), but having been so miserably stolen, it became a "cult" instrument to me.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I regret selling my Grabber. :bawl:

15. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    My first bass was a red Ibanez Destroyer (body style like a Dean "X"). I wouldn't dare take it out of the house today, but I do wish i still had it. I actually saw it at MusicMakers in Austin about 5 years after I sold it, but I was too poor to buy it back.

In other news, I had a beautiful cello - late 1800s, French, very dark sound - that I loved. I literally sold it in college for less than I paid for it in order to make rent. I suppose you have to do what you have to do, but I sure wish I still had that beautful instrument.

16. ZiggaDigga

ZiggaDigga

Dec 3, 2004
    DFW
    I regret selling my 76 Stingray with the prototype neck. :crying:
    But at least I was able to buy a car after I sold it! :hyper:

17. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    My very first Precision bass, a 74 bought new. Burglarized in 1993.

66 Jazz bass, Sherwood green with matching headstock. Bum truss rod, sold for $100 in 1971.

18. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    My 1978 Fender Precision.. :bawl:

19. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    How weak is that? Lame.

Marshall

20. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    My very first bass, a T-40, that one of my roadies stole.