Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Regular Bass or Slap Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tard85, May 7, 2002.

1. tard85

tard85

May 5, 2002
    Hey sup guys. I was just wondering what kind of bass playing most people like. I like to play bass with a felt pick, because I'm mainly into heavy/thrash metal. Like early Metallica for example. However, I cannot stand slap bass. It's just not my thing. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it, I just wanna know what others like. Thanks for posting your replies.

2. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    To tell you the truth I REALLY like funk metal bass. Seems to have a very nice combination of regular and slap so neither gets annoying or anything. I also prefer finger playing over the use of a pick. Just my opinion. :)

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Whatever works for the song is fine by me:D

4. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    sometimes playing with makes me get bored so to put extra fun in your game slap is cool....and it really makes people shake their asses

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like sand bass mice-elf, tasty and easy to catch

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Amen!:cool:

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    No matter : finger, pick, slap, tapping, etc. Totally depends of what the musical piece inspires me or requires.

All the best,

8. Finger style mostly. Pick on occasion.

I'm not a fan of slap at all.

9. If slap is done with taste it is something to behold, a la Marcus Miller. But the early Incubus stuff(I like them a little bitty bit more now) I just cant stomach. I only slap on one song we have and that is a easy T--pp-T thingy. I can slap but not on my Warwick. My hands are WAAY to big(size 13 1/2 ring finger) for the narrow spacing of the old standard Warwicks

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I agree. I'm mostly a pick player, although I do enjoy fingerstyle too (not that good at it yet, but I'm working on all the songs we do fingerstyle too!)

I think slapping an popping sounds good for some songs - I just suck at it!!!! I like tapping too when it fits the song - again I'm jealous of anyone who can do it well!

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Fingerstyle, pick, I hardly ever slap&pop or tap.

All those styles are beautiful, but slapping gets tired when it´s overused.

It depends on the feel of the song what I use. I´ve also been known to use a pick when I´m supposed to play fingerstyle, but on those occasions my fingers are practically frosen, so I play better with the pick.

12. Bass_Is_Life

Bass_Is_Life

Apr 26, 2002
    Personally, I'm very much in the slap 'envelope'.

I wear my bass real high and slapping just seems right for the music I play.

Some say slapping has gone out of fashion or is an archaic style, some are even downright abusive of it "The seventies/eighties have finished grandad, get with the program!".

Regardless, it is the style for me.

13. Can you give me an example of some bands that use this style? I can't think of any, and I'd really like to hear some.

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well i play finger about half the time! I play alot of slap funk as well! I play in 2 bands at this point one is a jazz band and the other is a funk rock jam band. I use slap in both! Some times slap is a great way to let out some expression in your sound. If you dont like slap bass then i think you should work on it and learn how to do it! Its best to play the things you dont like mainly because you will get a greater understanding of the style! I personally try to learn everything that i can get my ears on!

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What works for the song... amen again!

I'll just add that overplaying using *any* technique (finger, pick, slap, other) is annoying.

16. I don´t know of anything exactly denominated funk metal righ now, but if you listen to s.c.i.e.n.c.e. (album) from Incubus, you'll find many heavy grooves with lots of slap-pop on them.