1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Regular model or Dead on 58 Danelectro Longhorn Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DickOverfrick, Oct 19, 2010.

1. DickOverfrick

DickOverfrick

Apr 20, 2009
    Hello!
    I play double bass in a rockabilly band and wanted a bass guitar to play at home, maybe several songs on the gig...
    I want to buy Danelectro Longhorn so I'm wondering should I buy Dead on 58 Reissue or regular one? Is this almost the same guitar or is reissue noticeably better?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/danelectro_dead_on_58_longhorn_bass.htm - reissue

http://www.thomann.de/gb/danelectro_longhorn_bass_bb.htm - regular one

- i noticed that this guitar has blue head, but on my link the head is blue and there is also a pickup switcher? Why is that?

2. rockdoc11

rockdoc11 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    I own an old one that has a bridge like the "dead-on." It's not as good or as accurate as the newer bridge on the regular version.

FWIW . . .

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    The original reissues (late 90's) are the best in my experience. They have the old style bridge, stacked knobs, and matching finish on the headstock.
    Regardless of what model you get, you can upgrade the bridge to the newer model for $50 although I don't think it's necessary. Once I set it up proper, the old bridge worked fine for me.
    http://danguitars.com/PARTS.html

4. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    The regular one is discontinued but that's the one I'd get due to the bridge. The Dead On uses a rosewood bar instead of individual saddles.

5. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Go with the "Dead On" version. It is truer to the original and the electronics are a little better then the regular, at least in my opinion. But be careful. The "new" Danos do NOT sound like the vintage ones. If you really want the tic-tac sound you need to scour the web for a vintage shorthorn or long horn or a Silvertone 1444. Or a Jerry Jones version.

I actually found my reissue longhorn pro to sound just like a lot of my current or modern basses. The lipsticks are actually "souped" up.

You can usually pick up a vintage one for less then $600, which is really not that much more then the reissues including tax.

6. +1

7. DickOverfrick

DickOverfrick

Apr 20, 2009
    The problem is that I am from Serbia so I can't buy via ebay. I can only buy on thomann and even there my cousin from Germany must take over guitar and then send it to me via bus driver :) It's complicated!
    I really prefer Blue Burst color and it's pretty cheaper! But I don't like black head and black neck! I also like Dead on 58 pots. Like from some mad scientist's lab! :)
    Damn it!

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    A vintage longhorn for under $600?? I'd love to know where! I haven't seen one anywhere near that price in 20 years.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Go with the "Dead-On", I love mine.
    longhorns013-1.jpg

10. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Personal preference, but I'm not a fan of the satin finish on the Dead On.

You might want to consider a Jerry Jones Longhorn as well. They're better made than the Danos, though pricier as well.