regular poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Atef, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Is there any difference between a bass poweramp and a normal hifi poweramp(so just the power supply, not the preamp or cabinet)

and if I wanted to hook up an extra poweramp to my laney combo, should I use the tuner out or the effects out
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A power amp is a power amp.

You could use the loop out or the tuner out to send signal to the power amp.

I am assuming that you are also using a seperate cabinet on the power amp.
  3. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    I think you'd find that a hi-fi power amp can't cope so well with the transients produced by single instruments.

4. Are you sure about that? Don't the plethora of users of preamp/poweramp rack setups say otherwise?
  5. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Machete - I'm fairly but not totally sure, but the power amps used by the bass players here seem mostly to be specifically designed for that role. I was just saying specifically about hi-fi power amps not being up to it.
  6. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    There's nothing in the design of a high-fi poweramp that would prevent it from being used for bass, but there aren't very many that put out the kind of wattage you need; and they are designed to sit in someone's living room, not to be thrown in the back of a pickup truck and hauled to gigs/practice every couple of days. In other words....not very tough.

The power amps that people use for bass are designed for use in pro sound PA systems.
  7. I tend to agree with BruceWane. Unless you've got Bryston, BGW or a Macrotech sitting in your living room the chances are good that your home power setup wouldn't survive the rigours of gigging or the road.
  8. My mistake, folks. I was thinking that what Atef meant was a PA power amp.