Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

regular poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Atef, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Is there any difference between a bass poweramp and a normal hifi poweramp(so just the power supply, not the preamp or cabinet)

and if I wanted to hook up an extra poweramp to my laney combo, should I use the tuner out or the effects out

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A power amp is a power amp.

You could use the loop out or the tuner out to send signal to the power amp.

I am assuming that you are also using a seperate cabinet on the power amp.

3. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    I think you'd find that a hi-fi power amp can't cope so well with the transients produced by single instruments.

4. Are you sure about that? Don't the plethora of users of preamp/poweramp rack setups say otherwise?

5. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Machete - I'm fairly but not totally sure, but the power amps used by the bass players here seem mostly to be specifically designed for that role. I was just saying specifically about hi-fi power amps not being up to it.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    There's nothing in the design of a high-fi poweramp that would prevent it from being used for bass, but there aren't very many that put out the kind of wattage you need; and they are designed to sit in someone's living room, not to be thrown in the back of a pickup truck and hauled to gigs/practice every couple of days. In other words....not very tough.

The power amps that people use for bass are designed for use in pro sound PA systems.

7. I tend to agree with BruceWane. Unless you've got Bryston, BGW or a Macrotech sitting in your living room the chances are good that your home power setup wouldn't survive the rigours of gigging or the road.

8. My mistake, folks. I was thinking that what Atef meant was a PA power amp.