Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Regular pwr adapter + daisy chain for pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by K-Frog, Jul 11, 2004.

1. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    In lieu of buying a power adapter + daisy chain(Godlyke or something else) can I just use one of my 9V/1A or 12V/1A adapters + a daisy chain to power my pedal board? I figure using one or both would deliver enough voltage and current to do the trick.

I don't see how this would be much different than buying the whole set-up from MF or somewhere. This was I only need the daisy chain

Comments?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you should be fine as long as voltage and polarity are correct. Most pedals take aout 50 mA. On average.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If the PS is beefy enough, it will work fine.

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    The 9V/1A is a generic OEM brand, the 12V/1A is a Mesa Boogie AC-1
    I also have Boss PSA120 but it's only 200mA. I don't know how many pedals I can run off of that.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    like I said, most pedals run around 30-70mA. You can usually check the manuals and find out. I mean, the boss metal zone used around 55mA, if I remember correctly, and that thing has a TON of gain.

6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I was told that daisy chaining a power cable to multiple pedals, or even using separate wall warts but plugging them into the same power strip/power circuit, can create a hum in your signal chain. I believe this is why the VooDoo Labs Pedal Power was designed. To solve this problem.

Of course, if your pedals to not interact in a manner that creates hum in your signal chain, you are good to go. But if they do, now you know one solution.

I also think this is the reason for power supplies for rack mount containers. Separate buffered power to each rack.

Tim99.

7. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Visual Sound makes the OneSpot that will power several pedals. They offer a 'daisy chain' cable that will drive 5 pedals and you can get additional adapters to power Line 6 units and battery adapters for really old pedals that take only batteries.

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    right, I want to use one of my adapters and just buy "their" daisy chain cable.

Is this a sound idea?

9. Yes you can run most pedals on one a daisy chain but there are some exceptions. Some pedals use a different plug (EHX), or may have different specific power needs (Akai) or even have a different polarity (Yamaha) and some efx don't even have a plug for an external power supply. Then again some pedals have such low drain that batteries are just easier and there is the school of thought that some efx actually sound better on a battery, I prefer to run my distortions and envelope followers on a 9v and unplug them between uses.

10. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Ill have to convert one DOD pedal to the more common Boss style anyway. Polarities could be coreected also. I don't see these as obstacles personally.

I am however concerned about over-juicing my pedals with power supplies that can supply 1 amp.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Unless you have a pedal with a power out jack (i.e. Boss NS-2) you would need to splice their daisy chain to your adapter. It's doable, I spliced together my own daisy chain and it worked fine. I don't know if it added additional noise because I didn't have anything to a/b it against, but the noise didn't seem unbearable. So, if/as long as you're splicing, it probably makes more sense to put a DOD end onto the daisy chain rather than mod the pedal. Make sure you get the polarity right. Also, you can splice to a battery clip and connect it to the pedal's clip -- this will not work with Boss because the pedalswitch is in the way but it works great with DOD.

You can overjuice pedals with voltage, but I don't think you can with amperage. It's my understanding that pedals draw however many mA they need.

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Check out the EBS adaptor. It is not like any transformer I have seen. It's very lightweight and can be used for 110-240volt application. Very quiet. No hum. It can run 5 or 6 pedals on a daisy chain.

13. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    You can do that, without any splicing. My only concern would be the power supply you're using.

As far as polarity reversal, 1/8" plugs, and Line 6 plugs, there are adapters available for all of those.

http://www.visualsound.net/pa.htm for more info.

-Eric.

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Is there a female jack on the Visual Sound daisy chain?

15. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Jondog, this is the kind of info I've been hoping for.
    I figured on splicing into the daisy chain, or making an adapter.

What you said about the current draw is what I thought was correct. The pwr suply is rated to deliver a certain amount of amperage IF the load demands it. It's not like the pwr supply is forcing that much current into the pedal.

On the other hand, it is pushing the voltage in.

I think I should be safe with the rated 12 volts. There are so many circuits that run well on 9V and better on 18V, that I hope the 12 V(+33%) will make all my pedals happy.

any one else?

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If you look at the link wyliee provided, there are lots of adapters there, so you don't have to splice if you want to spend the $ on them. I didn't know they existed until today, but I wouldn't have bought them anyway because I'm cheap. Radio Shack sells barrel and other connectors if you want to make your own daisy chain.

I would not run mine with 12v, but I don't know for sure that this would fry anything.

17. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Yes, indeed. It just connects to your wall wart power supply.

The additional adapters are fairly cheap. (generally less than $5 each, I believe). I have no desire to whip out the soldering iron, so they're a great option for lazy folks like me.

18. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Just be careful, and make sure you have PLENTLY of mA available. When I was building mine, before Visual Sound came out with theirs, I used a generic 9V answering machine adapter from Radio Shack. It was rated at 900 mA. I spliced on 9 jacks, wrapped it in cable wrap, and I'm good.

Do yourself a favor and don't overload or underload your pedals, at least not by much. Most fresh batteries will put out somewhere in the 10-11V range, and then they will sag as they run down, but I'm not sure that 12V all the time will be good for your 9V pedals, and I'm certain that you won't get top performance from your 18V pedals with only 12V going in. Just get 2 power supplies.

19. something to be aware of;

just because a power adapter says it puts out 12VDC doesn't mean it's so.

A conventional unregulated 12VDC power supply is likley to put out much more than 12V when lightly loaded. Same goes for a 9VDC supply.

So, just be sure you're not running your pedals on what you think is 12VDC when it is in fact more like 20VDC or something.

Simple way around this is to only use "regulated" supplies.