Regulating volume/tone control caused by switching basses. Possibly Bassbone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MUppet, Mar 29, 2005.

1. MUppet

Nov 16, 2004

I have the need to regulate the volume/tone control caused by switching basses due to passive/active basses and tone preferences. I also do not want to have to 'modify' my amp settings while switching basses. I only bring 2 basses out when playing live.

The amp settings are currently set up for the main bass that I use, and are perfectly fine right now. The second bass that I bring out (I have a bunch of different ones to choose from) usually need volume and/or EQ changes on the amp when I use it.

I was thinking about purchasing the Radial Bassbone ( to accomplish this.

Unfortunately, there aren't any dealers around me that carry it.

Has anyone out there have or used this unit before? Can anyone comment on how good/bad this unit is?

I also have another issue if I do purchase this unit, I use a wireless unit live, and when I switch basses, I end up plugging the wireless unit into the new bass.

I was thinking about using a splitter cable out of the back of the wireless (WIRELESS UNIT --> FEMALE 1/4" JACK --> 2 CABLES WITH MALE 1/4" JACKS --> INTO UNIT)

Would this type of cable cause signal issues? If so, how else would I accomplish this besides an A/B box?

This was just my thought on how to best remedy my problem. I'm not 'sold' on the Bassbone yet. I was wondering if anyone else is having (or had this problem), and what you do/did to fix it.

Any other ideas would be helpful as well.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've gone direct to the board with my Tonebone at the last two gigs. I'm playing just one bass through it, but it works really well at setting a nice growly, aggressive tone on Channel 2, while leaving a fuller, mellow tone on Channel 1. The boost switch comes in handy for the occasional solo, too. I don't have any complaints about fidelity. Our PA is pretty good (pretty danged good, actually, QSC/EAW), so I get a good sound through it. The Tonebone is no U5, but sounds great and is very feature-laden. I think it would serve your purposes nicely.