1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rehab issues with old Ampeg 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrmoonjam, Oct 23, 2006.

1. mrmoonjam

mrmoonjam

Apr 17, 2006
    Here, Now
    So I finally got an Ampeg 810, it's old enough that it doesn't have wheels or a "handlebar," it's just a rectangular cab. Here are my questions:
    1. On the bottom are six 1" diameter holes that used to have metal cups in them, which I understand fit the dolly that these cabs originally came with. The owner I bought it from had installed casters over the four holes on the corners. The casters were shot so I took them off, leaving 4 screw holes around each 1" hole. I haven't been able to find casters with the same mounting screw pattern, and I've been using it for about 18 mo. w/o wheels, really not too a big problem, using a hand truck. Option 1-Parts Express has a detachable caster with a flush mounting plate that the wheel assembly slides into, ie no large deep holes like pop-out casters require. Assuming the screw pattern doesn't match, would 4 additional screws in each corner cause any problems? I'd still use the handtruck for major moves, like to & from my truck. Option 2- Something similar to the original dolly. I haven't yet found an illustration of these, and have no idea how efficient they were. Option 3- just use the damn handtruck. Other options?
    2. The tolex has various rips, gouges, and patches where it's gone. I don't want to mess w/ mojo, I don't mind some roughness, and I'm not interested in recovering. I plan to glue down any spots I can. Any pointers on how to do this, what kind of glue, etc? Some spots I'll be gluing tolex to wood, some places tolex to tolex. What about bare spots: let the bare wood show, patch the tolex, color the wood black, or something else.
    3 I'm definitely going to get a heavy duty cover to prevent some of this from happening. Is Tuki the best? Other ideas?
    Thanks for any experience or creative ideas anybody has!
    :cool:

2. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

Make a dolly like the original and paint it black. You'll need a quality piece of 3/4" plywood and 4 casters. 2 should swivel and 2 shouldn't.

Casters are 3" diameter IIRC.
    dolly dimensions are 26" wide, 15 7/8" deep just like the cab.

There should be two small holes on the bottom of the cab with threaded inserts. This is where the dolly is attached to the cab with fasteners (bolts). If your inserts are missing you can find replacements at fliptops or hardware store. Replacement cups and rubber mounts are available also.

I would plug the old vacant holes from the previous caster job first.

You can still use the handtruck to transport the cab from vehicle to inside the venue and then move around on the dolly.

3. mrmoonjam

mrmoonjam

Apr 17, 2006
    Here, Now
    KOA- Thanks!!
    Making that dolly sounds like something even I can do! How was the original dolly covered/painted? Which 2 casters should swivel? The threaded inserts are there...I'd wondered what they were for. If the dolly bolts on, when does it need to come off, certain playing conditions, or what? What about the 1" holes on the bottom: what were they for? Did they fit the dolly in some way? What should I do w/ them? Replace the cups, at least? Hope I don't sound like a pesky kid w/ all these ?'s!

Anyone, any advice or inights, about dealing with torn/missing tolex while protecting mojo?

Thanks again Koa :cool: .

4. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

The original dollies were tolexed using the same tolex as on the cab. Purists will be disappointed that an exact match is no longer available or at least very difficult to find. However, there is plenty of black tolex that will work for dolly duty.

Either end of the dolly rectangle can be used for the swivels.

1 inch holes? Do yours go all the way through? If so, how many?​

5. mrmoonjam

mrmoonjam

Apr 17, 2006
    Here, Now
    There are six holes, actually 1 1/4" diameter and just a hair under 1/2" deep. The two in the middle still have metal cups in them, the four in the corners had the metal cups removed and the aftermarket casters were centerred over the holes.

6. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

That sounds right. I'd replace the missing cups. Get them at fliptops.

And get six rubber mounts which will attach to the dolly platform.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I seem to remember my old SVT head having 6 rubber feet that went into 6 recesses in the top of my cab....man, that was a long time ago!

8. Use contact cement for the tolex.:bassist:
    Take a wire brush and scrub off as much of the old, waxy glue they used, then apply the contact cement.
    I re-covered an old Ampeg 8x10 that was SERIOUSLY torn up; if you just have a few dings that can be glued back in place, don't bother trying to take the old Tolex off. It's not worth the intense amount of work required to get it off.:scowl:
    C7

9. mrmoonjam

mrmoonjam

Apr 17, 2006
    Here, Now
    Yeah, 6 on the top and 6 on the bottom, more spread out on the bottom. All are the same size. If fliptops or somebody has the feet for the head, they'll probably work as the mountings on the dolly.
    :cool: THX :cool:

10. mrmoonjam

mrmoonjam

Apr 17, 2006
    Here, Now
    I'm definitely not re-covering it. Wire brush and contact cement sound good to me.
    :cool: THX :cool: