rehair or new bow?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by tbassist4, Jan 8, 2006.

1. I bought a bass a few months ago, and got everything overhauled and set up right, but I still have one problem: my bow is absolutely horrible. I like the length and everything (it's a full size bow, I need it) but the quality is so-so. The hair is even worse. They break constantly. I know its pretty common for hair to break but not like this. It doesn't quite sound the best either.

I compared it to my school's bass bow (same rosin but it is 3/4 size bow) and I like that sound a lot better. There wasn't enough rosin but you can tell in the quality of the tone. My bow is more dull, and the school's bow is more clear, not quite to the point of being a brighter bow....but clearer. I'm still using mine because I like the size and how it plays, and the sound difference is present, but not enough to make me play that short stubby school bow! It just doesn't feel good to play.

My bow is sturdy, not the best (haha), but sturdy all the same, and it can't be any worse than a student bow. Would getting my bow re-haired improve the sound enough, or at least to the quality of my other bow? Or should I just go all out and get a good bow? I know it's hard to draw a judgement since you can't hear it, but can anyone give me some advice? If it comes to buying a new bow, I'd be more in the upper-student range prices, but I'd really prefer just a re-hair with an excellent quality of hair.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you like the bow otherwise, I think $40-50 is a fairly decent price to pay for an experiment. If the existing hair is in really bad shape, new hair will definitely improve the behavior of the bow.

If you still don't like it, it'll be worth at least a little bit more when you sell it with the new hair.

If you have a trusted luthier, he or she can tell you easily enough if the hair needs attention.