Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rehair

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Johnny L, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I've been using my bow for about 2 years now without going into a rehair panic. Nothing against people who do this kind of work, are good at it, and give customers what they're paying for here, but if I still have enough hair on my bow to hold some rosin what good is there to doing this sort of thing...other than looking for ways to diminish my cash flow?

2. I usually end up getting a rehair every two years or so. Every time I wish I'd done it months earlier... you don't realize how crappy your hair probably is, even if it looks allright. Trust me; get it done regularly!

3. I used my bow for two years without having it rehaired, and gradually it became harder and harder to get a consistently good grip and solid sound.

I had to use more and more pressure, until I finally started experimenting with various grades of rosin.

Unfortunately to get a solid grip, I needed either lots of regular rosin, or a very sticky rosin...both had a negative effect on tone quality, and required a major adjustment in bowing technique.

Finally my teacher saw and heard me and in a minute he realized the problem was not my rosin, but my bow hair.

The amount of hair you have left is not the point, it is the condition of the hairs. I was trying to compensate with extra pressure and sticky rosin, for hair that had lost it's natural grip.

When my teacher handed me a bow of his, newly rehaired, the difference was very obvious.

4. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    Two years would be the absolute longest I would recommend without a rehair. From what I understand horse hair is very coarse and, therefore, holds rosin very well. When pulling the bow across the strings the hair tends to smooth, it loses some of it's tension, and loses the hold it once had on the rosin. By rehairing the bow you will require a lot less rosin and pressure.

5. I would recommend trying black bowhair...more coarse...