Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. I was thinking about this the other day in another thread. How often does your band get together to rehearse/practice/learn new songs/etc...?

What functions does practice serve for you, aside from the obvious pracice/rehearsal aspect?

For me, and my band- we practice twice a week. Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 5-ish until we get tired. We usually get through the set once, maybe run through a new song, learn a cover, drink a few beers, grill out.

Practice is as much of an excuse to get together with the guys and have fun doing what we love doing as much as it is "work" for the band.
  2. It's wierd. Lately we don't really practice...we're more like businessmen, trying to have as many brainstorm sessions as we can about how to market this record, and whom to market it to... that and having meetings with investors and management offers.... (for real)

When we DO practice, it usually starts with some warmup songs, set staples, and then we try and disconnect a bit and either jam out new ideas that pop up, or my guitarist will twiddle this effect, and slap the other and turn the other 40 on or something and start hashing something out... settle into some grooves, work out some stuff, commit ideas to tape, take said tapes home and try and expand on them....

So it's productive and not productive at the same time... productive for getting the new out there in the open, but as far as practicing the same set often, doesn't really happen.

3. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My band is a 5 piece, guitar, bass, organ, drums, sax, playing 60's and 70's Funk/R&B/Soul covers and origionals. We break up into smaller groups when working on new material and then bring in the rest of the band once there is a good foundation. Very often the organ player and I will get together and write/arrange new material. We then bring in the guitar and drums, and then the sax. We also have seperate sessions for vocals. This way no one sits around at practice waiting for someone else to get their **** together. We gig 1 to 3 time a week when we're busy, this helps everyone stay on top of things.

I used to play in bands where it was all about fun. Now is strictly business. Don't get me wrong, I love playing, but everyone I play with is very busy. They've got other gigs, day jobs, family. We actully have an agenda that gets sent out via email before each practice. As crazy as it may sound, it works. We get **** done.
  4. My band has practice twice a week these days, Mondays and Fridays. If we have a gig, we try to reherse the night before. We used to jam 3 nights every week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but we have to keep planning it around everyone's changing job and school schedules.
  5. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago

My wife likens my band's rehearsals to other guys' basketball leagues or standing tee times. :D In a sense, she's right - the band is my release and chance to get away from everything else and do something I enjoy.

Nice touch on the grilling!
  6. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    we get together twice a week...we go around and each pick a song to play. after so many years of pursuing the dream it's so nice to play just for the sake of playing, no b.s. involved.
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Once a month max. We gig about 4 or 5 times a month.