Rehearsal space in Boston???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Snarf, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Anyone know of rehearsal spaces that rent for around $150/month around the Back Bay area?
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Used to have a space in in HP for about that. We showed up one night to find cops teling everyone they had an hour to clear out. The "owner" was a squatter and was harbouring a chop shop in another section of the building.

Good luck, that's a low price for the area.
  3. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    You'll have a hard time finding any rehearsal space in the Back Bay. Try Somerville, or the Allston/Brighton area.

You could always use jamspot in Somerville.
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've seen that website before, $25/hour seems outlandishly expensive, considering we'll be practicing at the very least every other day for 3-4 hours.

BTW, when I said $150/hour I meant for a shared room, not our own exclusive room.
  5. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Good luck. I doubt you'll find anything that cheap in back bay. Sound Museum is a good deal. I use JamSpot for my band because we only practice 2-3 time a month and they have amps, a keyboard, drums, PA, and mics all set up for us. We just show up and practice.
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    We've already talked to them, and they're all full.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Rehearsal space in Boston is always being squeezed by the rising real estate prices. Abandoned mills and warehouses suddenly get converted to condos and another 50 bands are out on the street.

Good luck.
  8. Martina Rose

Martina Rose

Oct 31, 2010
    Hey Snarf,

I agree with Brian that rehearsal spaces in Boston have been squeezed and have got replaced by Boston condos or other new construction due to escalating property values. Forget such spaces at affordable rates now! You’ll have to look more towards the edges of town, maybe closer to Cambridge or near university campuses. You might get some success. Also, let me know where you ended up finally…

Martina Rose
  9. Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Even in Providence (one hour south) $150 is wishful thinking. Real estate just doesn't want to cater to musicians and artists. I can't blame them though. They're only in it for the money.
  10. slaps76

slaps76 Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    Best place I've used is Charlestown Rehearsal Studios:
    Charlestown Rehearsal Studios - Home

Big place, rooms have a/c, cargo elevators to the floors for easy gear hauling, but it's not in Back Bay, it's a few miles away. A lot of people look to spilt rooms with other bands.
  11. drummer35

Jun 18, 2012
    I noticed, this is an old post, but maybe it'll help someone. I play drums, and we're practicing at Parallel Sound in Newton.

This is hourly rehearsal space with 4 studios; they provide all equipment, so I don't have to bring my drums, which is very convenient!

They've been around for a few years... Maybe worth trying until you find something permanent.
  12. teneta

Jan 22, 2013
    The most well known rehearsal complex for bands that has been in existence for 25 years is located 20 minutes northwest of Boston. $290 a month gets you your own private room. An added feature is that it is clean and secure. Many well known artists have rented there over the years including us. Link is
  13. Melonthief

Jan 25, 2013
    Bump for Charlestown