Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rehearsal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jul 7, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i have a rehearsal with my band on Tuesday for 2:30 hrs,-(with the new line up)...i want to make about half a dozen songs, i have the lyrics & ideas but how can i make the most of this limited time?

2. I've always been the one, in past bands, who's analyzing how efficient our rehearsal times are. I'm not a big fan of going to rehearsal only to waste time so I'm constantly looking for ways to be more efficient. The biggest waste of time is going into rehearsal with no idea of what you want to accomplish. That gives everyone the opportunity to relax and once the band is in that state, it can be hard to get them motivated again. If you go into rehearsal with a clear understanding of what you want to get done, chance are your going to be more productive. Even if you don't accomplish what you set out to do, your probably going to get more done than if you didn't have a plan at all.

3. Try to get more time for your rehearsal is my advice.. if you practice only 2.5 hours a week, it takes ages before you'll get to gigs..

for example : with my band we do rehearsals on :
    Tuesday from 19:00 - 22:30
    Thursday from 19:00 - 22:30
    Sunday from 13:00 - 17:00
    and on the other days i practice solo for at least 1 hour a day..

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If you need to practice longer than the gig lasts, once a week, someone is not doing their homework.

If you practice at home to get your parts right, and everyone in the band does, rehearsal will just be fitting those parts together.

For the record, my band never rehearses. We're gigging 4 nights a week now, so that's enough for us.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree. IF everyone does there homework and learns their parts.
    The band I am in now doesn't practice either. We decide what songs that we are gonna do, and learn them at home. Works great for cover songs. Originals, however, do require rehearsal time with the whole band.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Agreed. But you still can tape rehearsals, take notes, etc in order to make sure that you don't waste your bandmates' time and energy.

Originals do take more work, tho.