Rehearsing / gigging in crowded, expensive cities (Singapore, Manhattan, London)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by skygzr, Jan 1, 2018.

1. skygzr

skygzr Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    I live in the US suburbs. The keyboard player has some space and I just drive over there to rehearse. When we have a gig we hook up the trailer and drive it to the gig. Easy.

This can't work very well where space is expensive and cars are a problem. For instance, I've been to Singapore a few times. Its a great place (OK, la!) but man, being in a band must be a serious hassle. You can't be in a garage band because there aren't any garages. Cars are very expensive and an awful lot of people don't have them. Getting yourself and a hand-carry instrument from A to B seems pretty easy but what about all the other stuff? I can't imagine rolling your SVT stack onto the MRT.

Clearly, music manages to happen in all kinds of places. But the logistics? How do you deal with it?

I haven't been everywhere, but in my modest experience Singapore has the best street food. So good and pretty cheap. I even tried durian (once) :eek:

2. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Located in NYC. Most decent venues here, even the smallest ones, have a basic backline so you don't have to haul gear, and usually prefer that you leave gear at home to not take up space. If there's something missing, you take something that you own to the venue (amp heads, certain drums, cymbals, etc.).

Bob_Ross likes this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Yup. NYC/suburbs have rehearsal studios and have everything you need. I bring my bass and pedalboard, plug my Noble into the house amp and go to town. You can pay to rent a bass too if you want (or any instrument). Or you can pay to rent a better instrument than what's included in the room rate (like a B3 rather than the standard keyboard).

The places we use have "showcase" rooms too. Stages, full PA w/ monitors, lights, etc and seating so you can invite clients or practice as if you're on stage. One of my BL's regularly books the larger rooms just for the fun of it.

Rudreax likes this.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There are also cartage companies that will rent and deliver equipment to venues, like Carroll or SIR.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    PICT0264.JPG PICT0262.JPG PICT0261.JPG
    These are a few of the rehearsal spaces I've been in...

6. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    My guitar player lived in Hong Kong and Beijing and played in ex-pat bands in both. All the clubs had backlines, PA, etc.