Rehhersal & Gig Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by salsjag, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Rehersal & Gig Recording

I am trying to figure out a simple way to record rehersal sessions and gigs without going through a central board. Some one recomendend a mini disk player/recorder using a stereo mic like a Sony MD-PK4. I was not thinking of mixing down individual instruments and vocals but rather get a good quality representation of what the band sounds like so we know if we are good/bad and what we need to work on. Can anyone provide any input? Has anybody done somthing like this if so Waht?, and using What? With a Mini Disk can you record over existing disks.

I have a Mackie 12VLZ mixer so I guess I could line in various instruments and vocals and then line out to a Mini- Disk or some other recording device. I was looking for simplicity, portability, and quality.

Thanks for any input

2. I play in a worship band, and when we get a new song, I use a walkman minidisk recorder on the output of the keyboard, just to get something I can practice with. It works for me.

Most, if not all, MD recorders will have automatic recording level control, so a stereo microphone will pick up all you need to tell you if you are in tune and in time. It won't help you with overall balance though.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Minidisc is a great format for musicians - you get good quality recordings, you can get a lot on one disk (up to 5 hours with Sony's LP4 mode), pick out the bits you want to keep, delete the rest and keep on recording over the disk.

I bought my first MD recorder when I got back into playing with bands a couple of years ago and it's proved to be an invaluable investment. I currently use a Sony Net-MD recorder (MZ-707, I think) and Sony electret microphone. It fuels my homework time because I can listen to the music I've played, reinforce the good and work to avoid the bad!

4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Another nod for minidiscs. It'll run you about $250, then a mic. I record EVERYTHING!!! (Rehearsals, lessons, jams, gigs, everything!) It's such a valuable tool. You can record over them, you can save them to your hard drive as mp3s, (transfering is analog usually), and the quality is awesome for what you're doing. I think every musician should have one.
  5. Thank you for your input. I'll be getting one tomorrow.
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Let us know what you get and how you get on with it. I'm sure you'll find it a useful tool even if it takes a couple of goes to figure out the best set up for your requirements.