Rehousing old CTS square magnet 10s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morgan138, Jul 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Go for it, they'll sound great in any sealed box!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yeah, but make sure you put them in something that looks just like 1/4 of a vintage flatback

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. This isn't worth the trouble, flip them to a refurbisher and get on with your life

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    I recently hit a sad life milestone...when a bassist finally gets rid of their fridge (early 70s flatback in my case). I pulled the speakers out though, and figured I'd try to rehouse at least two in a little sealed 2x10 of their own, so I could use them to play around the house and maybe in the studio.

As it turns out, finding a quarter-fridge-sized 2x10 (around 26 x 16 x 12) is a lot harder than I thought it'd be! There aren't many sealed boxes out there, and the ones I tend to see are either too big (Peavey Headliner, with over 2x the volume) or too small (Ampeg 210AV, which looks great but is around 75% the size).

Has anyone done anything like this? Can I get away with using a 210AV box? How much difference would these mis-sized cabs really make? Is it even worth going to all this hassle just to have a tiny 1970 alnico baby cab?

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Those speakers are 32 ohms, rated at around 30W each. Eight of them provided a 240W capacity at 4 ohms. In a 210 cab with the speakers in parallel, the cab will be 16 ohms.

Got a low powered amp that will run into 16 ohms?

3. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    For sure, yeah. I've checked all the speaker codes and done the math, just trying to figure out if it's worth the bother since finding a cab isn't going to be as easy as I'd hoped!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The most cost effect approach in this case might be to build one. Around 1 cubic foot internal for each speaker.

morgan138 likes this.
  5. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Unfortunately with wood prices being what they are, I could buy a 210AV and throw away the original speakers for less than it will cost to have a basic 2x10 built from scratch :(

Out of curiosity, where did you get that 1 cubic foot? I'm pretty sure flatbacks have more than that, although I'm guessing based on external dimensions -- they're around 12x12x16 per speaker, which has got to be more than 1cf even with a bunch of wood inside.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    One set of internal chamber readings that I have are 10 ⅝” h X 24 ½” W X 12 ¼” D which is 0.92 cubic feet per speaker. I've seen 810E's at .96 cubic feet per speaker. The 1 cubic foot came from Ted Weber who studied the CTS speaker and designed a copy. In a closed box, the speaker can be used over a range, he told me that 1 cu ft was an optimal target.

morgan138 likes this.
  7. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Thanks, that's super helpful! I've just realized that the numbers I was looking at probably included a few inches' worth of lip, baffle, etc. on the front.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The speakers might be worth more to somebody doing a refurb/restore project.

9. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Yeah, this is what I'm starting to think. I love the idea of hanging on to a couple of these 50 year old speakers, but I don't know if it's really worth the trouble when I could just grab a 210AV for less money and 5x the power handling, and get most of the same tone.

:(

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Maybe get “better” tone.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021