Reid Anderson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I saw Reid Anderson play a duet concert with tenor-player Bill McHenry this weekend. The show was in an 80-seat hall with neither player using any amplification.

Anderson's sound was really full and his musicality was impressive. His intonation was solid -- it can't be easy to concertize on a borrowed instrument, but he sounded fine. He played one of his compositions as a bass solo, and it had enormous emotional range. On the nit-picky side, Anderson's left hand had a bit of "floppy fingers" that impeded ideal vibrato control. Nice fella, and a musician I'd be happy to see again.

As for McHenry -- interesting player! His music reflects much successful work and a happy place. Big, full, warm tenor sound, good intonation and truly incredible dynamic control in all registers. He's a very melodic player -- picture Paul Desmond playing free improv on tenor and you're in the ballpark.

If either of these guys comes your way, don't hesitate.
  2. E_bottom

E_bottom Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Anyone know what bass and strings Reid was playing that night or what his usual set up is?
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    In Portland, he played a bass belonging to Adam Chilenski, who's a student at UM-Augusta. It looked to be Czech-ish and Adam says it was made in the 80s. In short, a perfectly fine but by not highly distinguished bass was made to sound like fine music.

Reid told me that he enjoys playing whatever's there when he shows up. It would drive me nuts!
  4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Reid's all over the latest disc from Mark Turner, "Dharma Days." Nasheet Waits is on drums and Kurt Rosenwinkel is playing guitar. Smokin' modern jazz....
  5. tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I'll have to check that disc out...I've been really drawn to the Bad Plus recently, and have been searching out recordings with each of them as sidemen. I just got Ethan Iverson on a Billy Hart record (have yet to listen to it though)
  6. Interesting I'd love to have heard him outside of the bad plus. I had an opportunity to meet him and see him with the bad plus a few years ago and I liked the way he played but I always like to hear players in other contexts.
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    There are worse things that could happen.
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Holy crap! What case were you using?
  9. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    thats reid anderson in the photo, not aaron
  10. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I've only seen him play on his bass once, but he was using Spiro reds (mittels). I have heard that the particular sound he has on The Bad Plus' first album is the result of recording straight from the Realist into a SansAmp Bass DI; it is indeed a very edgy and up-front sound, but you can get the same thing in the studio with just a mic and a bright bass when you're using Spiros (whether you want it or not :rollno:).

That photo is a nightmare.
  11. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I thought it might actually be the original Sansamp, not the bass DI. I'm pretty sure Tchad Blake uses about a 1/2 dozen of those on every record, but he generally will use a wet/dry signal.
  12. Hey there all,
    Just recently I've been checking out a lot of bill mchenry with various groups with ben monder, and with reid anderson, and man, what a killer show that would be to see duo. Reid went to Curtis I know for his education, so I guess he would've studied with hal robinson. I've never seen him use a bow, but he has pretty flawless looking technique, and sound imo. And his tunes, daamn...what a great writer!
  13. looks like he forgot his case that day ed.
  14. Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm pretty sure Reid was at Curtis before Hal started there in '94. The previous instructor, Roger Scott, taught a lot of great classical players like Peter Lloyd, Charles Barr, Nick Tsolainos and others.
  15. mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I know I'm digging up an old thread, but whatever.

I saw The Bad Plus a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic show... Reid's tone was fantastic, as was his playing. I talked to him for a bit after the show, he was using his own bass with a Full Circle through one of those newer Ampeg combos. I'd also like to mention that Dave King is an absolute monster on the drums. A monster who knows how to be quiet too. SO much control!

I borrowed a few of his records from my teacher, he's a solid composer as well. I hope I get a chance to see him with other musicians as well. I'm going to have to take a trip to New York sometime...
  16. didn't see it mentioned here. i highly recommend "the vastness of space" to anyone who wants to check out reid's writing. the band is andrew d'angelo, bill mchenry, ben monder, and marlon browden. one of my favorite records. it's expensive to buy the disc, but it should be on itunes as well.

17. DownLow

Nov 30, 2007
    Thanks for the recomendation. Vastness of Space is great.
  18. mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    The Vastness of Space is fantastic. I also really like Abolish Bad Architecture.
  19. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Reid is probably my favorite bassist. I finally got all of his older solo records just yesterday and they are killing. Bill McHenry is another one of my favorite musicians. "Roses" is a great record.