1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reid Anderson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by owen_liam, Oct 15, 2009.

1. owen_liam

owen_liam

Jun 16, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Saw The Bad Plus with Reid Anderson on Monday in Bristol, UK.

What a player Anderson is!

May I suggest that, if you haven't already heard him, you go and check him out. He's the guy that inspired me to upgrade from EB to DB! :)

2. Yeah he's incredible, I saw him back in April. The only problem was that the club I saw him at had horrible sound quality and if that wasn't enough, it was clear the sound guy had no idea how to mix a jazz group.

3. owen_liam

owen_liam

Jun 16, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    I hate it when a club's poor sound wrecks a gig. We're lucky because the venue we saw them at is a classical music venue renowned for its clear acoustic; they sounded amazing. Not sure if it was the same sound man! Reid's sound was fantastically clear and 'unmuddy'. Some of his solo passages were an absolute joy to hear...

4. Yeah I bet, the piano and drums were overpowering the bass, which was pretty muddy. Interestingly enough, in the bathroom, which is below the stage, the sound quality was awesome.

5. owen_liam

owen_liam

Jun 16, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Weird! I'll bet the view wasn't quite as inspiring though.:D

6. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Happy birthday Reid (slightly belated)!

7. owen_liam

owen_liam

Jun 16, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Ditto.

Not sure if this is good TB etiquette, but I recently wrote on my blog about the first time I saw TBP and Reid. Have a look if you're a fan:

http://runningbomb.blogspot.com/2009/10/musical-epiphony.html

Leave a comment if you feel moved. If you have a search through the blog you'll also find some demented ramblings on Pino Palladino and other bassy issues...

8. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    yeah, i was there too.

those guys are serious...

9. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Reid is pretty much my favourite bassist - every time I listen to TBP, or one of Reid's own records (namely The Vastness of Space) it totally blows my mind.

What I really admire about his playing is the simplicity of it, as well as the feeling of authority his playing gives off - everytime Reid plays something, you know he means business. He's an incredible writer too. I think being a jazz player originally coming from playing rock (and still playing a lot of rock, though jazz is my focus), I can really 'get' what he's doing. Most of his stuff is pretty rock influenced.

It seems like a lot of people haven't heard his record The Vastness of Space... if you haven't try and find it. In my opinion it's his best work, and I've heard that Reid himself thinks that as well, although it's not nearly as well known as his other stuff. The band is Andrew DeAngelo, Ben Monder, Bill McHenry, and Marlon Browden. Andrew's playing is especially great on the record.

I'm seeing TBP in February, can't wait! I might try and get a lesson with Reid too.