1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reinstalled XP... now no Windows Updates....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was having trouble with my laptop. It was really slow and certain things weren't working (screensaver) so I reinstalled XP. It went really smoothly. After it was completed, I went to DL any updates, DP's Service Pack 3, IE7, some Security Updates, etc.

It was completed, one of the updates failed (I don't remember what it was) and I restarted the computer. I went to download the failed update and any other update and they failed.....

Now these updated that are failing are not showing the Microsoft site > Review your update history.

Any idea what might be wrong?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Nino, here's my reply to this from another thread, I think this may be something to do with your issue. Read carefully, it's a bit complicated!

Good luck!

4. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    OK.....So I should uninstall all the updates, SP3 and IE7 then reinstall IE7, SP3 then the updates?

5. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That sounds like the right sequence, yes. But your original installation needs to be at least SP2 to install IE7, it won't install over SP1 if I remember right. Here's the important bit...

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The install CD was SP2 and what you suggested worked perfectly!!!!!! Thank you VERY MUCH!!!!!!

7. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You're very welcome. :)

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    My computer is running better than ever BUT.....

..... the screensaver is still not working!!!!!! I assumed that the reinstall would of fixed that. :(

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This any use?

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/2290-windows-xp-screen-saver-not-working.html

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Crap....

I already deselected DVDLauncher.exe yesterday. I've uninstalled Power DVD and still no good.

If I click on Preview for the Screen saver, it shows the screensaver for about a split second.

It's a laptop with a built in touchpad mouse.

Also, The power Setings (?) don't work. My monitor doesn't shut off aftet 5 min, doesn't go in to stand by and hard disks don't turn off.

11. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  12. With all of those problems, I would just reformat and reinstall again. I have run into instances where you just get a bad install of XP from the start. It doesn't make sense, and it doesn't happen often but I've seen it. I don't think it is related to the XP install disk either. Earlier this year I lost a hard drive, so I had to install XP on a new one. All kinds of weird stuff was happening on the new drive. Games that have always worked and installed, just plain wouldn't work or they would throw out miscellaneous errors. And I would see unusual slowness loading specific programs. I immediately got rid of that trash and reinstalled. Everything worked fine after that.

I think you're seeing the same thing here, especially with the corrupted screen saver and power management programs. Did the updates issue get fixed? I've seen this weirdness too, most of the time it is because http://update.microsoft.com isn't added to the trusted sites list in IE.

Hopefully you haven't migrated any files to that new install yet, if you haven't then just reinstall again. It certainly won't hurt.

If your bios settings are changing on their own, the CMOS battery needs to be changed on the motherboard. The only thing the operating system should be changing in your bios is the system time, otherwise I'd be throwing that garbage out the window! :p