Reissiue '62 pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KumoriNeko, Aug 6, 2001.

1. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    I'm not really sure how to put this but: I want to replace the pickups on my Squier P, I'm thinking about the 62 reissue pickup. The demo sound of the American Vintage Series '62 P-Bass on the Fender webpage is exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any experience with this pup? Does it sound like the demo or not? Or is there another pup you think sounds more like that? I'm sorry if that isn't very clear.

Also, will changing the pots and wiring to better quality electronics effect the sound for the better?
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i suggest you to do the upgrade. if you feel good with the bass you have and if you are not worried about the resala value of the bass i think tht this could be a good upgrade. i have a japanese made squier jazz and a precision both are the japanese vintage serie. the are reissue model of the '60, both pickups are usa made and 60 reissure. they soun really really good, even if i prefer my jazz than the precision.

i have seen on your profile that you have a vox t 25. how is the amp working? can you post a comment? thanks
  3. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Squier's are great for the money and play well, but a PUP upgrade will make it even better. I don't know that you can really trust the Fender site sound bytes, but I think you will be happy with those PUP's.
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    IMO, i think Seymour duncans are the best for the classic fender sound.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've had my '62 Jazz Reissue for almost 10 years now, and for the price, they are an excellent all-around upgrade pickup for your situation. While I can't vouch for the P, I've heard the Jazz version of the soundbite, and I felt that it was a fairly accurate representation of ONE sound that I COULD get from my bass. Although the '62's are "vintage reissues", they seem to have a bit more treble and are more modern sounding that most of the other vintage pickups that are available, such as Fralins or Antiquities. They have more of a modern sound than true vintage pickups, but not so much that they actually sound "modern", if you know what I mean. I just roll the tone back a little and I can achieve a very close approximation of an early '60's Jazz. I'm not sure that Fender is selling a P for, but if it is going to be almost as much, or close, so what you paid for you bass, you might want to reconsider. If you are SURE that this is the bass for you and that you will not be upgrading to a totally new and different instrument in the future, give it a try. Otherwise, it might be wise to save your buckeroos and invest your pickup dollars in a higher quality bass.