1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

reissue '51 Fender P-bass, MIJ: why so special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parksung, Mar 31, 2009.

1. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    I'm considering buying this bass used from a friend. He is asking for CAD625 but may be negotiable.

What makes this bass so special? It sounded great when we played together, but I'm a novice and probably can only tell when a bass sounds really ******, ahha...so another option is just getting a super cheap $100 used P-bass copy.

Is the neck as thick as the '51 Squier Classic Vibe P-bass?
    How heavy is the Fender (ash body)?
    Is it worth CAD600? How much could I negotiate down?
    Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for advice.

Attached Files:

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I don't know what you mean by special per se but I love this bass. Plays great and sounds great. But if you're just starting out and money is tight try the Squier you mentioned. Ed Friedland reviewed both and said the Squier was nearly as nice for about 1/3 the money.

3. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    Yeah, I'm actually renting the Squier right now and don't really like it, feels cheap and the neck is a bit too thick for my taste..IMO;)

4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Well if you like thinner necks then try a Jazz bass. The new Squier CV and VM get good reviews too.

5. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Definitely try before you buy with the SMV Jazz. They used to have Geddy style thin necks, but newer ones have baseball bat type necks.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Check this youtube video out (is this what you are referrring to?) Best comparison I ever seen.

7. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    The neck on the '51 is probably as big or bigger than the Squier you're trying. If you want a thinner neck (thickness or profile) you have many choices. Nothing is more important to me than how the neck feels in my hand.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I found the opposite. The CV Squier '55 style necks I've tried are noticeably wider and thicker in profile than my MIJ '51 P RI, Sting Sig and Blue Flower necks.