Reissue '51 P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HAWKINS, May 8, 2005.

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    Anyone play one?

I'd like to get one, just to use on some gigs, because I dig the vintage look and want to use it when we play old rock and roll sets. And its reasonable price, $630.

Is it a decent player? Is it made in America or Japan? Any experience?
  2. I love that bass, the action is really good, and you geta great vintage p tone
  3. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    If you get a good 51 P re-issue get the Sting sig bass. It's got the 51 styling but it's also a bit upgraded for more comfortable ergonomics (try playing both and you'll notice the difference).

They're actually quite good basses though they do get a lot of disrespect because of the Sting logo.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Sting is actually a '54, (some say '55... depends where you do the reading), reissue with the transitional body which has the forearm and 'belly' bevels... Nice bass.

The '51 RI has the blocky body, usually with the 'blonde' finish... The recent CIJ ones are very nice in build quality and playability, though not totally 'true' reissues with that 'mustard-blonde' finish and lack of bridge and pickup covers. The pickup is a knockout tone-wise, but I hear that they are very fragile and should not be used as a thumb anchor...

The harmonica/vocalist in a band I'm in has one that he won in a raffle and it is very sweet. He's not a player, so the setup needs some attention, but the neck is way nice, and as I said, the tone just cooks... I play it now and again at practice and have gigged with it. I'd own one in a heartbeat!

5. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    great feedback, guys....

now i definitely feel that i need to get one......

i would have gotten one, just for looks......but it seems that it has some good tone, too.......