Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reissue Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madskillz, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Re-issues are the real deal

97 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. Phony marketing ploy to increase sales

48 vote(s)
    32.2%
  3. What is a re-issue ?

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. madskillz

madskillz

Sep 20, 2002
    Here is my problem. I see companies say they are putting out a re-issue of a classic bass ( I won't mention names). What I don't understand is that, how can they possibly get the exact same woods, metals, and people to make the instruments. It is a known fact that trees have fallen victim to pollution, and the wood is not the same as it was years ago ( see baseball bats). Secondly, if the instrument was that great in the beginning, why did they change it. Comments please. Thanks.

2. I wouldn't buy a reissue, but I think It's the nostalgy what makes people wanting to own reissues.. A matter of likes.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Can't see why not if it is a good sounding/looking instrument. There could be some mark-up I suppose, but if you're willing to tolerate that...

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    If it's a decent bass in its own right, that's what it hinges on to me...

MIA, MIJ, MIK, MIM, MILF, what's it matter? Signature model? Reissue? Limited Edition with rich Corinthian Leather?

If it does what it's supposed to do, if it's a nice playable good-sounding bass, that's all I ask.

I've gotten to where I shop more with my hands and ears now. That's just me though.

5. I own a Fender '75 reissue jazz that I like a lot.... for me it's not nostalgia, I would have been 4 yrs old when the real deal came out, it's just a matter of Fender not making an identicle model that's not called a "reissue".... I like binding, block inlays, and don't neccessarily care what Fender decides to label the model.

6. I love my reissue P bass. When I bought it ten or some-odd years ago, I didn't even know it was a reissue, so that didn't even figure into it. It's just a great bass.

I'd like to find out where I can get my hands on one 'a them MILF reissues that xush mentions, though.

7. "Phony marketing ploy to increase sales"

Of course it's to increase sales, a company wouldn't produce a instument if they didn't think it would sell. Ya know what I mean?

personally, I like reissues.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    My only complain with the re-issues is the companies are so narrow-minded and just put out the standard version of '75 jazz bass. I think there are many of us who would like to play a '75 jazz in 5-string.

True, there weren't 5-strings those days but what's the point, they are made just to look like those '75 basses anyways.

9. I think reissues are just great. My japanese Fender Precision '51 Reissue plays, looks and sounds heavenly and has everything I want in a bass. To be honest, I would take an reissue over a modern bass any day - I simpy find them more attracting in every aspect.

10. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    When I was looking for a p bass, a friend of mine who deals in vintage guitars and bass bought me several 1960's fender precisions to try plus a 1983 reissue 1962 precision in sunburst.

I honestly found the reissue to be better sounding and this is the one I bought.

Since then, I must say that I'm "hooked" and love these reissues especially the early ones (I thing production of both the precision and jazz started in 1981/82), so much so that I now also own a 1989 jazz 1962 reissue in Fiesta Red and a 1983 precision 1957 reissue which I am curently restoring.

Long may MIA reissues rule!!!!!

11. I think some of Fender's reissues look good. If I buy another Fender or make a Warmoth, it'll probably have things like block inlays, my favorite colors from way back when, etc. Since I'm a college student with no job, it'd probably be silly to go spending several thousand extra on the real deal when I can get something close enough for my purposes.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Word.:cool:

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Well, Re-Issue instruments do result in more sales.

They may also drive down the cost for "non-vintage" older instruments.

It ain't the "real thing" but it is "new", and it wasn't someone else's "First Instrument".

Plus if needed, there's usually a warranty, and a case.

14. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I have owned two reissues. First was a MIJ '51 P-bass. Bought it cheap as a "project" bass. Swapped the pickups to EMGs and it kick hindend! Loved the look as well. Currently own a MIA '57 P-bass reissue. Plays well, only thing I changed was again the pickup (put a SD Antiquity P-bass in). Love the '57 P-bass. Some day I'll own a stock '57 but not until I have about $5,000 to $8,000 to spend.

ITT

15. Although I would not buy a reissue because it is a reissue (especially since i have never played the original of any reissue) , I would buy it if it were a good instrument

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Talking of reissues, until today I had no idea this existed...

I don't understand why you'd really want to have a bass that's *exactly* like Jaco's - down to the peeling paint and screw holes from an old pickup. Surely you'd just look like someone else who is trying to be Jaco? You shouldn't try to be Jaco, because you can't, you can only be you. You can't be Jaco anymore than Jaco can be you - everyone is different, and everyone has their own vibe...

El Pelusa likes this.
  17. yeah that "exact copy" stuff with peeling paint etc. is nonsense IMO

18. I never heard anything about the world's wood being messed up. Is it all that bad?

As for re-issues, if you've ever played a good Pre-CBS Fender, the thought of a brand new bass being made exactly the same (or as close as possible) is likely to make your mouth water. If I could get a '57 or '62 P-bass re-issue to sound 80% as good as my friend's original '65 Precision, I'd snap it up in a minute. I think a '62 P-bass re-issue is at the top of my list, in sunburst.

Mike J.

19. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Here is something else you migh want to consider regarding vintage vs reissue basses. Sting has a lovely '56 P-bass that was his main bass for several years. However, it is getting old and somewhat fragile so the Fender Custom shop made him a replica of it and that is what you see him playing most of the time these days. Can't believe that Sting would be playing a piece of crap just because he liked the way it looked. Is it an exact copy of the '56? I doubt it. Is it close? I suspect it is.

ITT

20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

A nice bass is a nice bass. Doesn't matter if it's the original or a nice re-issue. My buddy has a '59 les paul reissue guitar that is incredible. 3k versus 50k. I'd say he got a deal:)

Rob