Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reissue Dano Basses Valuable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, May 6, 2004.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Ok, we've all realized that the origional Dano basses have a cool tone, and most folks who want an origional are willing to pay "vintage prices" But here is a strange phenomenon...

Reissue Dano basses and guitars, (which were discontinued a year or so ago) are selling for MORE than they would have cost new! I see alot of new danos (unsold stock from a few years ago), and more than a few used ones, online selling for what they would have LISTED for!
    If someone had told me in the 90's that they were going to pay list for a reissue Dano I would have had them commited!
    Three years ago my brother sold his reissue U2 barritone for 80 bucks! (now I wish I had it)

Here's the question: With enough demand that these kinds of prices exist, why has Dano gone out of the music instrument bussiness again?

2. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    You can still get Danos new in some places (shreve audio?).
    it only makes sense though that if they have stopped making them they would go up in value.
    I got my DC new for $239 last summer. It's at least $100 more now no matter where you look.
    As far as Dano stopping production, maybe it's the same idea. THey weren't hot until they got hard to find. IT's like an artist struggling while alive and being revered (and valued) in death.

3. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I hear Jerry Jones are overall a lot better than Dano, old and new. Anyone care to comment?

4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    The Jerry Jones are high quality copies, but the price is much higher too.

My Danelectro LongHorn Pro reissue is a great sounding, great looking instrument.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

5. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I've noticed their prices also. I have a longhorn reissue and it sounds great. I used to (and I still cry about it on occasion) have an original longhorn that I had to trade away for a 5-string when my family was young and cash was not just an issue but an ISSUE. Here's my take:
    The originals did not have an adjustable truss rod, the have two pieces of steel that ran thru the length of the neck. It was stable and there were not any dead spots. I had pyramid gold flats on it for years and it sounded fat and focused and recorded really well. There was a time when I used rotosound rounds on it and with these it sounded very "Richenbacker" -like. The reissues are not as solid sounding in my opinion, but I have only used D'Addario's round wound (both steel and nickel) and their half-wounds on it. One of these days I'm going to shell out he big bucks and try the pyramid flats again.

6. no doubt!

i have always wanted a 12-string or 6/12 doubleneck guitar, and i had some money lying around, so i thought i give a look and see what they're selling for now that they're gone.

check it out -- two days left in the auction and the reserve has already been met!

i guess i'll have to wait even longer when the market cools to pick up one. for $600, i'd rather buy a nice telecaster.

robb.