1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

reissue fender, anyone got any info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by onelowg60, Dec 9, 2006.

1. onelowg60

onelowg60 Guest

Dec 9, 2006
    Baltimore
    Picture001.

This was a christmas present from my dad about 5 years ago, he got it from a friend who had it just sitting around and regrets selling it now that he started playing again.

All I really know about it is that its a 62 reissue in a rare colour that was only made in 62. I am assuming this is a 92 since the reissues were 30 years I think. Apparently its an American and Ive seen reissues sell for about 1200$. I will probably never know how much my dad paid for it but he was pretty excited to give it to me.

Im almost finished college and trying to play more since Ill have time, Id really like to know more about my bass and what its worth. What matters most is that I love it though and It plays like a champ, not to mention the colour is sweet.

Thanks,

Keith

2. Wait, are you Pino Palladino by any chance?

3. onelowg60

onelowg60 Guest

Dec 9, 2006
    Baltimore
    Nah, My names Keith.

good call on the mission hill, good show.

4. beautiful bass. enjoy that thing.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What would color officially be called?

6. sweet CAR reissue you got there

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    See, maybe it's the pickguard, but that looks lighter than candy apple red to me...

8. onelowg60

onelowg60 Guest

Dec 9, 2006
    Baltimore
    I know the name but I cant think of it right now. Ill have to ask my dad when I talk to him next if noone can think of it..

its like burnt orange or something like that.

no, its nothing near a red, everyone monitors will show differently but its like a bright pumpkin orange.

9. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Looks like fiesta red.

10. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Looks like Pino's

11. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Could be Dakota red. Here is what I know(or at least I think I know) about those basses. I think hey built them at the Fullerton Plant in 82 83 and I think early 84 when CBS sold out to FMIC. I"m not sure about the 62 P reissue but I'm pretty sure the 57 and 62 RIs were built at that time. The Fullerton RIs are starting to bring big $$$. The serial #s are hard to decipher but if it's V00XXXX or V01XXXX it could be early. The neck should be pencile dated as should the pots(well not penciled). Pull up the pickguard and check the 7 digit code on the pot. Should read somthing like 1378342. The codes are easy to read 137=CTS pot 83=year 42=week first 3 numbers could also be 135. That might give you a better idea of the year. Ive seen these basses in some very cool colors dakota and fiesta red, surf green,CAR,Cream, Burst and black. The coolest reissue Ive ever seen was an old Stacked knob that a guy used to bring to the open stage I work. He didn't know how to play but he messed with his bass alot, it was a very cool Coral Pink. You can still get these basses new in Black, White and Burst.

12. onelowg60

onelowg60 Guest

Dec 9, 2006
    Baltimore
    jm7897a.
    [​IMG]

Fiesta Red Over Desert Sand (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)

that could be because it looks like my exact colour.
    mine has that same bridge but his doesnt have the cover over the pickups.

i also notice the cover over the bridge in the vintage ones. the Psig has the holes for the cover but mine is clean.

13. onelowg60

onelowg60 Guest

Dec 9, 2006
    Baltimore
    sn# V03...

14. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    That could be an early one. If you don't feel comfortable doing it I'd take it to a reputable repairman and have it dated.

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah what Bone says; the american reissues first came out in 1982-84 under CBS ownership, then in 1985-now FMIC has been making them.

That bass color is called Fiesta Red, yes one of the more rare colors. Fiesta isn't exactly 'red'...it varies from dark-pink to reddish-orange. It's a very inconsistant color from axe to axe.
    In all my info gathering, the 82-84 early high-dollar Fullerton basses only used serials that spanned with V00 through V018-ish. Then when FMIC took over, they started at V02 on up. So your bass being a V03 puts it around 1989-90.
    As for the chrome covers, they came in the case when new, and it was up to the owner to drill holes and mount them.

Being a circa 1990, my best guestimate is about $900 bucks because of the color.
    Definitely hang onto it, and don't modify it. They're great basses.

-Mike

16. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Hey Mike, do you remember the guy on another board that won a 62RI Jazz in CAR that had the V05XXXX serial number and his turned out to be an 83. He won that bass from a guy that live about 20 miles from me. I didn't go look at it because I figured it was an Early 90s. The headstock decal placement of the contured body looked newer. I'm still kicking myself for not looking at that one.

Mike knows his Fenders and I trust his jugement but just to be on the safe side I'd get it checked out.Then DON'T sell it.

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No I didn't hear about that one. If that's really the case, It would have to be a newer neckplate was installed on a Fullerton bass because CBS didn't have any pre-made plates that high. Was it on FDP? Talk about a score!

18. onelowg60

onelowg60 Guest

Dec 9, 2006
    Baltimore
    So I guess my next step should be to get it dated. Ill post it up after I do so..

19. onelowg60

onelowg60 Guest

Dec 9, 2006
    Baltimore
    the little card that came with the guitar that I never knew was in the case, says its from california, and a bunch of other stuff about taking care of the bass and keeping it in good condition.

20. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    But Have you had the Date checked out?