Reissues vs vintage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I just played a 73 and a 69 jazz bass and loved both of their tones.Im wondering do the vinage reissues sound close to the real thing? I got to compare them to the newer jazz basses and they dont sound alike
  2. Ive always wondered the same thing, however i also wonder WHY vintage ones sound better? I mean with newer technology they should be able to get better sound out of newer equipment, and if not stick to old technologies. So i guess add that question as well, why DOES vintage equipment sound better?
  3. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    IMO, one of the biggest things that makes a difference, is time. You can't replicate what time does to wood and electronics.
  4. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    I don't believe vintage does sound better - I think you're buying (and quite exorbitantly too) into a myth. Electric basses don't age the same way that acoustic and stringed instruments do. IMO, the most you can say is that a well played instrument wears and becomes more "comfortable" to any player over time, like the wear on the edges of the fretboard, and that the magnets in the pick-ups will weaken over time. I think it's been said before that much of the music of days past that supposedly sounds so much better was made when these same vintage instruments were new or at least a lot newer than they are now. When JPJ was using his Fender Jazz in Led Zepplin it was what 5 or 10 years old at most. Seventies Alembics definitely do not sound better than modern Alembics. Pre-EB Stingrays do not sound better than EB Stingrays, at least not to my ears, etc. Yet somehow a 60's Fender is better than a 70's Fender and now, based on rising prices, I am supposed to believe that 70's Fenders are worth much more than 80's Fenders. Sorry I don't buy it.
  5. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    I can say that even my MIM 60's reissue jazz bass, plugged into a 15 inch, sounds pretty damn close.
  6. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    My basis of comparison is that I have A,B New american jazz basses agaisnt a 73 and 69 and they sounded a good deal diffrent to the newer ones today.Im not comparing to older recordings.They vintage (to my ears) were alot more aggresive and warmer. I prefered that tone of the older ones over the newer ones.And rather then do the reissues sound like the ones used on older recordings that do they have the same tone chacterstics that the vintages ones today sound like.
  7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I don't know that a "brand new" 60's would sound radically different then a new fender, provided the wood came from the same stock. The two biggest differences were Quality: the old ones were tighter, better neck body joints which translates into better vibration, plus many were finished in nitro cellious lacquer, a lighter finish which allowed the wood to vibrate easier, now they use polyurethane and apply much thicker. Now they can't use nitro in large factories due to ventalation concerns ( or at the very least it's too costly for most companies). Number 2 THE WOOD: They had much better stocks of wood to choose from and the wood aged on the instruments. If you don't think wood makes a difference, play a metro unplugged and then play a MIM Fender unplugged, the difference will startle you. And the pickups can only reproduce whats their. As far as the 70's Basses I don't believe they were better constructed (if any thing the new ones are better!) but Fender at that time beleived heavy basses had more sustain so they cranked out the heaviest bodys they could (four strings that came in at 12 1/2 lbs. !) I personaly don't believe they sound better but they do have there own sound. There are some basses out their that nail the 60's or 70's vibe pretty well new. The Lakland Joe Osborn (USA) would probobaly sound as good or better then any 60' beast in 40 years or so. The sadowsky Vintages nail the old vibe pretty good too. And the Lakland Daryl Jones does a pretty good take on the 70's. With the exception of some of the custom shop stuff I don't beleive any new Fender will nail that vibe in 30-40 years.