Rejuvenating Stainless Steel Roundwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by quest4bass, Aug 3, 2004.

1. I've heard that boiling your old stainless steel roundwounds in vinegar or mild detergent can actually help rejuvenate them. Is this true? WOW, if i'd have known this before, I would have saved alot of money on strings.
    Still I guess there's no miraculous cure for the fret marks left on strings by the steel fret pieces.
    But until then, maybe "cooking" your strings is a good way to bring life to a set of old roundwounds
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY

The boiling treatment removes dirt and grime and gives you that zingy tone for a short time, but you'll find that it actually shortens the lifespan of the string - and makes them more prone to breakage. Note too that you'll also ruin the pot in which you boil them.
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I've never tried boiling my strings, but I do clean them with rubbing alcohol every once in a while, and that really seems to do the trick. Afterwards they sound just like new.

I have realized, however, that I actually prefer my stainless steel rounds a bit on the dead side. :)
  4. True, new stainless steel rounds are excessively bright. But as we all know, after some time they die. And they really die, I mean the sound is completely dull.
    Are there any other techniques to bring life to old strings?
  5. There are some string cleaning solutions available..however, just like boiling them, it only makes them sound brighter for a short time. I don't use any cleaners however, as I prefer the sound of "dead" nickel round-wounds.