Relative efficiencies of Avatar cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Jul 31, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm thinking of doing something akin to placing an Avatar B210 on top of an Avatar B212 (Delta).

Looking at the sensitivity graphs that Eminence provides for the Delta 10 and the Delta 12LF, it seems as though the 10s are quite a bit more efficient across the spectrum.

However, if I've learned anything about cabinet design here, it's that what it looks like on paper and how it really sounds can be quite different.

Of those of you that have paired a B210 with a B212, have you noticed if the 10s are louder? If they are, I might pair an 8 ohm 2x10 with a 4 ohm 2x12 to even it up by 3 dB.

Any thoughts?
  2. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    On paper there is about 2db difference between the 210 and the 115. In careful listening I can truthfully say "Yeah, I think it sounds a frogs hair louder", but it's difficult to compare volume fairly when there are tonal differences. Non musicians don't stop and ask why the big speaker isn't playing as loud or anything like that.

bgavin's spreadsheet shows about the same difference between the Delta 10b and the Delta 12LF
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Bump. I'm thinking of building a similar cab and haven't considered this part of it yet. Someone must have an Avatar 12 with a 2x10???????
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    If you have a 2-channel power amp, just drive them as you need. I bi-amp mine and my Avatar B112 is about 6db more efficient than my 1x12 sub; I set the power amp 6db hotter on the sub side and it sounds pretty balanced.

I would believe what I read; Eminence posts pretty complete info.
  5. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    BillyB, I've got a B212 & B210. There's no problem running them together level-wise. The 10's kick out the mids and highs while the 12's handle the lows. Those two cabs compliment each other nicely.

6. I envy you tallboybass :D