Relatively cheap fretless six string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skerik1, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for in a search, so I thought I'd ask (sorry if it's been covered 19873051 times before) :smug:

ANYWHO, I'm looking for a fretless six string and want to spend around 600 bucks. Having a fretted six de-fretted IS an option, but I'd rather just get a fretless right off. One of the requirements is that it has 24 'frets' and *preferabley* a single pickup and a 35" or 36" scale neck.

I've seen that Dean has a pretty nice fretless six string, and I've also considered having a Spector Q6 defretted, but I'd like some input from you fellas first.

Thanks a bunch!!!

2. Well you can get a really big bargain with Brice Fretless basses. Ah, deans are nice. ANd thats all I got. Carvins are really nice too if you want to give a bit more.
  3. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i find the B string on Deans to be severly lacking and not really usable at all. well built basses and great fretless for the price. so maybe a tenor 5 string, or maybe i just played a dud with a bad B.
  4. I had a Dean fretless 6 for a while - nothing "wrong" with it, but then again nothing exactly great about it, either. Not a lot of "mwahhh", uninteresting pickups. I concluded that it wasn't worth the investment in pickups & preamp to upgrade a bass that would still be average.

Brices are very cheap, or you could look for a used Carvin 6 on ebay as they seem to go for about $500. That would probably be a major jump. You might luck out and find a Warwick Corvette fretless 6 for less than a grand - that would be my tip for a lower-cost 6. They're not exactly common, however...

Good luck either way!
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I don't know if this helps, but I did see an ad in the classified forum of a dude selling a Washburn 6-string fretless.

Best of luck, man. I know how difficult it can be to find a good sixer, fretted or fretless, in the $500- $800 range, though finding a fretless six is tougher.