Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Relatively cheap fretless six string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skerik1, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for in a search, so I thought I'd ask (sorry if it's been covered 19873051 times before) :smug:

ANYWHO, I'm looking for a fretless six string and want to spend around 600 bucks. Having a fretted six de-fretted IS an option, but I'd rather just get a fretless right off. One of the requirements is that it has 24 'frets' and *preferabley* a single pickup and a 35" or 36" scale neck.

I've seen that Dean has a pretty nice fretless six string, and I've also considered having a Spector Q6 defretted, but I'd like some input from you fellas first.

Thanks a bunch!!!

--Matthew

2. Well you can get a really big bargain with Brice Fretless basses. Ah, deans are nice. ANd thats all I got. Carvins are really nice too if you want to give a bit more.
    THanks
    Troy

3. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i find the B string on Deans to be severly lacking and not really usable at all. well built basses and great fretless for the price. so maybe a tenor 5 string, or maybe i just played a dud with a bad B.

4. I had a Dean fretless 6 for a while - nothing "wrong" with it, but then again nothing exactly great about it, either. Not a lot of "mwahhh", uninteresting pickups. I concluded that it wasn't worth the investment in pickups & preamp to upgrade a bass that would still be average.

Brices are very cheap, or you could look for a used Carvin 6 on ebay as they seem to go for about $500. That would probably be a major jump. You might luck out and find a Warwick Corvette fretless 6 for less than a grand - that would be my tip for a lower-cost 6. They're not exactly common, however...

Good luck either way!

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I don't know if this helps, but I did see an ad in the classified forum of a dude selling a Washburn 6-string fretless.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147011

Best of luck, man. I know how difficult it can be to find a good sixer, fretted or fretless, in the $500- $800 range, though finding a fretless six is tougher.