1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Relaunch the Stu Hamm Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tactician, Aug 16, 2007.

1. I hear rumblings about Fender relaunching the Stu Hamm, Urge Bass. New colours etc. Anyone heard about this?

This is just such a good set up, I'm surprised it isn't in the main line anyway - Jazz only, P only, Both with a mix knob, 3 EQ active option as well. And at a great price. Am I missing something - anyone had experience of this bass. Looks like a no brainer to buy as it covers all the core bass sounds in one instrument. Or have I got that wrong?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I don't think the Urge ever left Fender's catalog. It's still in it actually.
    The ones I tried gave me the impression of a damn air plane control board with only a couple usable tones. I'm not a fan.

3. Relaunch as in re-releasing the original, 32" scale, model, or relaunch as in just adding new colours and changing a spec or two? Like Jazz Ad, I hadn't noticed that the latest model had even left Fender's line up...

4. Just checking the website, I saw that the Urge II is still in production. Get one!!!

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0191500886

As for relaunching the Urge, it would be nice, but not necessarily the most feasible. Since Phil Kubicki departed ways from Fender, you'd need to either buy a bunch of pre-amps from him or design another active/passive pre. I think the 32" scale intimidated a lot of bassists, even though it adds to the coolness.

Overall, it would be wise of bassists to use an Urge instead of a P, J, and PJ cuz you get all in one bass. Then again, the average bassist doesn't quite think outside of the box. There are plenty here, but we don't necessarily reflect overall sales.

5. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    They sound kind of bland and clunky to me. But YMMV, as always.

6. It's not easy to work with the settings, but once you learn how to trick the bass into doing what you want, it can have some neat slap and fret tapping sounds.

7. I meant relaunch in the sense of a marketing push - like new colours, maybe the addition of the 32" option again. I knew that the Urge 2 was still available - I think it's been on the catalogue now for 15 years without a break, so perhaps they want to do something with the 15th anniversary?

Surely think one of these is a better option than all the hype around the Jaguar. But the Urge is a different price point and a USA quality build.

8. I don't disagree with you. I have heard there is going to be some form of limited edition Urge II to celebrate the time Stu has been with Fender, or something like that.

I don't think Fender will spend much effort pushing the Urge II. I remember seeing plenty of Urge publicity, but I think sales figures weren't high enough. Why anyone would buy a P or J bass when you can have it all in one is beyond me.

9. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    my only experience w/ an urge (not sure if it was a I or II ) was about 6 years ago at a local music store. I was looking for a second bass, the only bass I'd ever had (and still have) is my original 74 P bought new. I wanted to like the Urge really badly ( I'm a toatal sucker for the "swiss army knife" style of anything ) but it left me uninspired. Then the salesperson handed me a Dean Edge 4 Improv (czech made neck thru top of the line at the time) a bass I never would have tried on my own in a million years (I thought Fender=bass) and it really blew me away compared to the Urge (or anything else I tried at the time) and was less expensive. Needless to say the Improv went home with me and the Urge was left hanging on the wall. Of course, IMHO, YMMV. I would try one again in a 32" scale though as my tastes in basses has evolved.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes, the rumblings you hear are perpetuated by Stuart himself, as he has been mentioning the new Urge for a while.

Of course, I'm not expecting anything huge, he has said it will basically be a model to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Urge II bass...a shame given that I'm more a fan of the original Urge bass!

11. I'm a big fan of the Urge. Although reissues or not, I'm good with the one I have and one that's in the process of being shipped to me from a TBer as we speak. :hyper:

I still might get the limited edition Urge II if it looks cool. Having 2 Urge basses kinda defeats the purpose of having an Urge II.