Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

relearning

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by MasterChief, Feb 4, 2003.

1. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    Alright, well I have been playing the bass guitar for three years. I took bass lessons the first year and I moved so I lost all of the stuff that I learned and I basically just forgot everything. I still played my bass. I was wondering if you guys could help out and kind of teach me along the way. Like what websites would be good to learn stuff, etc. It would probably be a good idea to learn scales and cords. But you can make the calls. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    - Thanks

(P.S. I don't have anything in my profile because I am in a big hurry out the door and just wanted to post this thread)

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    MC,
    Welcome to talkbass. First off there is a wealth of information right here at talkbass, do some searches in the techniques forums and there is a ton of info. I cannot say too much about other sites, but there are great lessons at my site, www.michaeldimin.com as well as at www.bassically.net. There are great books at www.bassbooks.com.

I would start by learning some of the basic scales and how they relate to chords and chord progressions. By doing that you can jump right into creating cool bass lines in a live playing situation. Learn the arpeggios (notes of the chords played one-at-a-time) of all the chords in a particular key. That way you can start playing cooler bass lines.

Now, it is really difficult to
    as you say. I don't get the opportunity to hear you and create lessons that are tailored to your needs. It is best to come up with specific questions. In that way I can give detailed answers that fit your needs.

Mike

3. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    Thanks. I will visit those web sites often. I'm getting a book today that my uncle (who is really good musician) recommended. Elementary Rudiments of Music: "Recommended for Use in the Study of Theory at the Royal Conservatory of Music" by Barbara Wharram. $12.50 Publisher: Carl Fischer Music Publisher. He lives in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan which is in Canada. He said something about that there is a slightly different music system and the US might not have that book. If it turns out that the US doesn't have that book, what book would you recommend me? If I should get a book that is. I'm also starting bass lessons soon again.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  5. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    I ended up purchasing the book I said my uncle recommended. Since it was made in 1969 I ordered it from Amazon.com

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    MC,
    Best of luck. Please use the TB resources as much as you need. That is why we are here. The books that I recommended are more bass specific. I think that they might also speak to popular music more than your book might. Your book is probably a great resource. Let me know how it goes

Mike

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    www.Mel-bay.com , there must be 200 books just for bass. I've gotten some useful ones.