1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

relecing tuners with vinger?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phangtonpower, Nov 5, 2013.

1. I'm planing to buy buy some hipshot tuners. I really want to relic them. I've read about using pool acid and etching salutation, but I live in Japan and things aren't a easy to find as stuff back home. Well actually I think I may have found etching solution.

I've read about using vinegar just like you would with pool acid by only fuming them. It's a slower proses, so I think it may be easier to monitor. It also just seems safer and cleaner. I don't want to relic them completely. Just enough to catch up to everything else on my 15 year old jazz parts bass. Maybe just a little patina to take the shine away.

Anyway has anybody tried using vinegar to relic?

Also I have read when relicing that you should try not to get what ever your using into the gears, and it seems pretty impossible not to with bass tuners. I was thinking about taking the tuners apart and not including the gear and taping off the bottom part of the shaft as not to ruin them. Does that sound about right?

2. Battery acid or TSP.

3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Tri-sodium Phosphate. It's used for cleaning before painting walls, ceilings, etc.

Go to a grocery store and look for Citric Acid. It's used for cleaning food preparation equipment and for pickling foods. If you have a wine & beer making supply store, they sell it, too. If you look for a Kosher Food aisle, it would be called 'Sour Salt'. Mix about 1 tablespoon with a cup of warm water and let the parts soak for about an hour. You'll want to monitor this because it can go too far in a short time. If this happens, you can't return the parts to a previous condition. You'll only want to do this to the parts that are visible and NOT the gears.

Personally, I would buy the tuners directly from HipShot and ask them to tumble the parts. This is done to all of their parts before plating or clear coating. It will cost a little more, but it will make the parts look old without chemically altering them.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    "Google?"

5. Relecing tuners with using them:rolleyes:

6. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    Gassing (all metal) tuners with Muriatic acid worked great for me.

Very convincing looking.

Hipshots have some non metal parts don't they?

7. I've heard that Muriatic acid does work great, maybe to good for what I'm doing. plus finding that stuff in Japan would not be very easy or cheap.

http://www.google.com/webhp?nord=1#nord=1&q=tsp

Here are your google results! None mention what it is :oops:

And how long would it take to catch up to other worn parts?

8. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    Yeah the acid might be overkill for your needs. I was really trying to age mine 30 years.

But just in case, I got mine from Amazon. A bottle was around $16 (US) I think. You just need plastic containers then.

Don't do it inside. The fumes are very toxic.

9. I wouldn't mind trying it out, but $16 plus shipping and having a risk that they confiscate it at customs for being some wired chemical for one time use may be a little much.

Thanks for the help though :)

10. :rolleyes:I dunno I try to keep my stuff look as new as I can.
    Not every needs to know my bass is 14 years old, hell I refinish it for its tenth birthday:rolleyes:
    :meh: sooooo am I the "that guy" of this thread?you know the one that tells you "your doing it wrong" and "get off my lawn" if so just let me know. . .
    :ninja:[SUB]and I'll keep posting anyway[/SUB]:D

11. Maybe :p
    I was the same way with this bass as far as keeping it clean and shiny, but after using it for 15 years it's slightly worn down. I got new tuners for it and it just looks off is all. Like I said I'm not trying to make them look all banged up and rusted, just a little patina. If I had to wait a few months before they start loosing shine that would be fine, but the longer they keep that shine, it will bother me a little. It's not even that great of a bass, but it sounds good and has a lot of sentimental value.

P.S.

I have a 79 ovation magnum. Slightly dinged up and the non-chrome hardware looks worn as hell. It's in really good condition otherwise and I try and keep it that way :)

12. When you aged your tuners, did you take them apart?

13. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    No. They work fine and have that great patina.