1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Relented on Amps and In Ear Monitors-What Do I Need To Know

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BrotherEarl, Jan 21, 2018.

1. About a year and a half ago the bandleader made the announcement that we would be moving towards in-ear monitors and encouraged me to move to a smaller amp that we could DI out of and push through the PA.

I dug in my heels and said I was good the way things were with my larger amp and if they decided to axe stage monitors altogether I would be fine; I started gigging in the 90's without them and I can still get the job done.

Last gig was kind of disastrous as I watched the BL and soundguy frantically get things set up and working for everyone. I felt kinda bad about it and figured the best thing I could do is fall in line.

For amps I figured something like the GK MB series amps would be a good pick. I can play it with my upright in jazz gigs and still get a decent stage sound out of it. It won't be a 4x10 but it'll get the job done.

But in-ear monitors are the one that troubles me. I was warned ahead of time that they tend to have very little bass response.

Am I getting myself in a situation that I'm going to hate? Are there some in ears that are better than others? What should I be aware of as I go down this path?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    You can get kick back cab, put it in front of you for your monitor.

A Mesa D800+ with a built in HPF, pre /post eq di with signal control and ground lift would work. Sure, it's a lot of power but it has the features you need.

Revsound builds a 16 lb, 1x10 and 20lb,1x12 bass kick back monitor.

RS112M/FOH Stage Monitor | RevSound

3. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    who do you guys like for in-ear monitoring systems?

all your IEM questions answered in there :)

tl; dr - do not cheap out on any part of the rig (receivers, transmitters, the buds themselves) or you will be in for a world of pain (or at least never-ending frustration). Pick either the Audio Technica M3 system or the Sennheiser G3 system, and nothing else. No, not even the Shures. Definitely not the Nady or the Carvin. Go with custom-molded IEMs from Westone, 64audio.com, or some other reputable vendor (I went with the latter, 6-driver, they're awesome and worth every penny). Never, under any circumstances, perform with 'just one IEM in' - it is the worst possible case for your hearing. Either roll with both in or none at all.

4. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas

You had me nodding in agreement until the Shure comment. The Shure PSM900 is a great option and not much more expensive than the Sennheiser G3 (if bought without the SE425 buds).

As for the buds, you can get a great sound from generic buds, but that can be hit or miss depending on your ears and the fitment of the foam or silicone tips. For me, generics have worked just fine with foam tips. I've used the cheap Shure SE215s and now the Westone AM Pro 30s (Westones are much cleaner sounding than the Shures, but the Shure had plenty of bass).

Beyond that, I've used a wired IEM setup with success, too. The Rolls PM55p is a great option to get you into the world of IEM for not a lot of money.

Stumbo, pwhalen and sleeplessknight like this.
  5. sleeplessknight likes this.
  6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    You’d think the BL would have dry run the new system in rehearsal instead of at a gig.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use the Shure PSM300 (the digital ones) and it's an awesome system. Also, after using 1964 Audio Quad driver custom molds, I've gone back to cheaper universal fit IEMs, because I get better performance from them, and prefer the sound.

The only "must do" you posted was the part about leaving one IEM out. Spot on.

sleeplessknight likes this.
  8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    +1 on the opinion that you need to buy high quality earbuds. If you run a good preamp and have decent buds in - and the mixer you use has the option of getting you your personal mix (one you don't have to share), you'll not regret that step. You WILL regret taking the leap towards IEM so late.
    You will have your own mix with the bass very present and as loud as you want it without interfering with the FOH.

We use a mix of Sennheiser and the thomann 200 series sending units, where 2 people share one sender (so mono for everyone) and I must admit that practicing with the other band that does not run IEM has become less fun.

9. Going full-on IEM with regular monitors was something he planned to do over the course of the Winter months when the band was dormant. He'd done set up previously but had some things come up that were unavoidable. The disastrous gig I mentioned was kind of special in that we could have done a terrible job and they'd of just still been happy to have us.

It might have been earlier than it should have been but it was a soft landing we could make if necessary and put it into practical use.

If you have to fail you'd want to fail among friends.

DirtDog likes this.