Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

relentless GAS...what to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d_rock211, Feb 4, 2003.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I have about $800-900 to spend.

I am looking at MM Stingray, MM Sterling, G&L 2000. I see alot of people on the board pushing Laklands, unfortunately, I haven't been able to play one where I am.

I loved the couple of Stingrays that I played, I haven't even seen a Sterling in a store, but would love to check one out, and I wasn't particularly keen on the G&L for the 45minutes that I played it, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

If anyone is from the greater-Cleveland area and can suggest someplace that has a better selection than the North Olmstead GC, please, let me know where I can play more of these basses!

What would you say to a '92 MM Stingray for $800?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [Borg voice]

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

[/Borg voice]

3. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I know I can't resist, but I also can't afford everything I want all at once...:(

4. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    You just need to win the Lotto or something! :D ;)

5. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I still want to know if there are any significant differences between the Sterling and the Stingray. It seems to me that the Sterling would be a little more flexible with the p-up switch it has.

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Not really too up on the Stingrays.. But I think the Sterlings are a little smaller compared to the Rays.. Also I think the electronics and pickup switching config's are a little different also.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I say go for the G&L. I just played another L-2500 tonight and was blown away again. I think they are totally underrated basses. Plus, you won't be so trendy compared to all the MM's and Skylines out there!

8. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I bought a MM Sterling for $850. I found one in a music store yesterday, spent an hour playing it alongside a Stingray and my current Yamaha BBN4. Well, I liked it so much I went straight home (to the chagrin of the store employees) and took up fellow TB'er thumpmaster on his offer. I will attach some pics.

9. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
  10. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
  11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    NICE!!!

Congratulations!!

12. Congrats! Sterlings are pretty nice basses.

13. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    So the bass should be here Monday. Now, I just have to come up with a few thousand to get the SVT Classic head I was playing into at GC the other day and Ampeg 8x10 that sweet sound was coming out of....

14. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I wish I had that kinda dough... Theres a local mom&pop music store around where I live, and theyve got this bad@ss Stingray that someone modified with another PUP (Like the Sabre model) and a Hipshot. For $700.
    :(

15. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    That Stingray does sound like fun; and given the mods, assuming you like the sound of the new p-up, $700 doesn't sound like a whole lot for what's there. There are a couple of local stores near me that are carrying stock Stingray's, used for almost $1000 before tax. The nearby Guitar Center has a near-mint used Stingray for $900. I really liked all the Sterlings I played and couldn't pass this one up for what I paid.

Actually, I lucked out on this deal. I am in college, and I have to be careful with where I spend my money. this is my last semester in school, and I already set aside all the money I need for tuition, food, rent, books, and a little extra just in case.
    The other day I got a letter from the Student Accounts office. Somebody had been screwing up over there and overcharged me about $800 over the past two semesters. Just so happens that I spot thumpmasters' Sterling for sale the same day.

Bang, the school sends me a check, I deposit it, turn around and in a couple of days the money is going to thumpmaster and I'm getting a bass.